Episode 1: emerge in a changed world

"How long have I been like this? Unable to move, unable to talk, yet I can see everyone" questioned Kaworu in his head.

It has been a long time since the last time he saw the blue sky, but being in the red and black void felt like an eternity. He misses his mother and little sister, and wonders if they're ok and probably in the same situation that he is in.

"Ok, I want to leave this place! I'm slowly going insane, I want to leave this place!" He yelled in desperation.

He bared his teeth as he struggles to move, but luckily, he can move his right arm. He looked up at the red and black void, and sees light coming from above him. He grinned as he floated up towards the light, reaching his right arm towards it.

In the real world

At the rooftop of what used to be the electronics store, the puddle of what used to be Kaworu started to bubble. A hand slowly emerged from the puddle, then the an arm after. The left arm followed soon afterwards, and both arms placed both hands on the roof to push the rest of the body upwards. Then Kaworu himself emerged from the puddle, gasping for air. While he was breathing heavily, he examined both of his arms and they were slimy and dripping with goo. He grinned upon his newfound freedom, having escaped the red and black void.

"At last...! I'm back to being physical again...!" He said in a weak voice, while laughing softly.

He looked down, and seen that half of himself has emerged from the puddle.

"Alright, time for me to get out of this puddle!" He thought to himself.

He bared his teeth as he used every strength in his arms to push himself out of the puddle, only to tire himself out halfway.

"Damn it...! Am I this weak...?" He said to himself.

Luckily, there was a handlebar to his left. Then he grabbed it and used his strength to pull himself out of the puddle, with success this time. He grinned that he can see his legs again, but except the fact that he's naked.

"Huh?? Weren't my clothes there when I melted?" He said, puzzled.

While looking for his clothes, something caught his eye. He walked towards the edge of the building, and what he saw shocked him.

"Oh... my... god...!" He whispered to himself.

Half of the downtown is almost submerged in a sea of pinkish red goo, and even the streets are flooded. Even the electronics store that he was on is almost submerged, but the tall buildings are now twisted and slightly melted.  He walked across the roof to behind the store, and he saw what used to be the neighborhood located near the lake is now a sea of pinkish red goo. He looked at himself again, and he is still dripping with the same substance while leaving footprints as he walked.

"That pinkish red goo... used to be people?" He said, upon realizing.

"It's surprising you have walked around like that and realized this predicament, and you just emerged from your puddle. Pretty impressive, I must say" said the female voice.

He quickly turned around, and saw a teenaged girl standing behind him. He blushed while covering his private area, feeling embarrassed. The young girl has neon blue hair (likely dyed), and green eyes. She wore a white tank top, biker shorts, white lab coat, and boots.

"H-how long were you standing there!?" He exclaimed, blushing.

"I just watched you emerge from your puddle, but I wouldn't want to show myself until you've seen how the world was like sixty seven years ago" replied the young girl.

"Sixty... seven... years later!?" He said, his eyes widen from shock.

"Yep, that's how it's been since that energy wave that turned everyone on earth into goo. I emerged from my puddle two weeks before you, so I knew first hand" she replied.

"May I ask your name?" He asked.

"It's Yoshino. Yoshino konoe" said the young girl.

"My name is Kaworu. Kaworu Tsukuba" he introduced.

Yoshino walked over from behind the stairs and came back, holding a box. She placed it on the roof, and opened it.  It's full of nothing but clothing, folded neatly.

"Here are your clothes, I managed to salvage them and restore them due to being tattered and weather beaten" she said.

Kaworu reached into the box and pulled out his jacket, fingerless gloves, underwear, and pants. Then he put each of them on, so he doesn't walk around naked. But after putting on his pants last, he couldn't find his shirt nor shoes.

"If you're looking for your shirt and shoes, I'm sorry, but they were beyond restoration. Your shirt is reduced to scraps of cloth, and your shoes are rotted to the point that toadstools have grown in" Yoshino apologized.

"I don't really care about my shirt, because being shirtless while wearing my jacket would make me look badass, but I'm really worried about going barefoot. What if I stepped on a piece of broken glass or sharp metal?" He said in a worried tone.

"Don't worry, the buildings in this city aren't damaged. It's practically safe, as long as you be careful" she assured.

Afterwards, Yoshino reached out her hand moved it up. Kaworu watched as a row boat floats up to the edge of the building, as if it was magic.

"How did you do this?" He asked.

"Simple, psychic powers. According to my calculations, you might also have psychic powers upon emerging from your puddle. This might be a side effect of regaining your physical form, since everyone else is pretty much melted into pinkish red colored goo" she explained.

He looked at his hands, wondering if that was true. Without further ado, he and Yoshino got on the row boat before it lowered into the goo. Then she grabbed the paddles and started rowing away from the electronics store, heading to an unknown destination. However, he started hearing a multitude of voices in his head coming from the pinkish red goo.

"Help... me..." cried one voice.

"Father... where are you...?" Asked the second voice.

"Someone... help us" said the other voice.

This got up to the point that he couldn't take it anymore, completely irritated from hearing this.

"Will you all shut the hell up!? If you want help, just try and remember something you cared about or have a strong will. That way, you'll regain your physical bodies the same way I did!" He yelled at the pinkish red goo.

"Are you ok? You seem irritated" asked Yoshino.

"I'm sorry, I just heard some voices in my head and it annoyed me" he apologized.

"Thats because you might have telepathy, an ability of psychic powers" she said.

"So, where are we going?" He asked.

"We are going to the warehouses close to the dock, that's where I made my hide out and my dad used one as his private laboratory and storage" she answered.