ii

Imbo stood in the dimly lit laboratory, her gaze fixated on the test tube in front of her. The green solution within churned and bubbled, a volatile concoction on the verge of eruption.

Her heart pounded against her ribs, a symphony of fear and anticipation. This experiment held the promise of breakthrough or devastation, and she teetered on the precipice of both. She stared at the tube with the green form that was about to puff out of it. This is exactly how she felt. Her skin was about to puff. The rushes kept coming despite all the measures she had taken to ensure she had them under control.

She couldn't heal them. At least not here on earth.

Her heart pounded against her ribs, a symphony of fear and anticipation. This experiment held the promise of breakthrough or devastation, and she teetered on the precipice of both.

Her hands trembled as she adjusted the controls, praying for stability amidst the chaos. Sweat beaded on her brow, a testament to the intensity of the moment.

Time seemed to slow as the solution swirled, edging closer to the point of no return. Imbo's breath caught in her throat, her whole being focused on the impending outcome.

The darkness was looming. And it was clear there was nothing she could do about it. Clearer even now after the school incident with her daughter Alego. She didn't push Randy. Yet she did.

The footage was almost blurry. The principal couldn't make anything of it. Randy and Alego couldn't. But she could. She knew exactly what had happened. The darkness could smell her kind even from far away even if it was on another sphere.

A single drop fell, a catalyst igniting a chain reaction of chemical frenzy. The solution hissed and spat, frothing at the mouth of the tube like a rabid beast.

Imbo's heart sank as she watched, helpless against the impending disaster. Her hopes hung in the balance, threatened by the very experiment she had poured her soul into.

Desperation clawed at her, urging her to intervene, to somehow salvage the situation before it spiraled out of control. But she knew deep down that it was too late.

With a deafening roar, the test tube shattered, sending glass shrapnel flying in all directions. Imbo stumbled backward, shielding her face from the onslaught.

In the aftermath, amidst the wreckage of her hopes and aspirations, Imbo remained, a lone figure in the wreckage of her creation. The green solution lay still, a grim reminder of the fine line between triumph and tragedy.

As the echoes of the explosion faded into the silence of the empty lab, Imbo knew that there was nothing she could do about it. And with the events that had taken place today in school, It was clear she was running out of time.

Imbo was standing in the aftermath of the broken test tube when her husband Andrew walked in, his footsteps quietly resonating on the tiled floor. She was startled in shock as he broke the silence with a light tap on her back.

Imbo turned slowly and met Andrew's stare with teary eyes. It didn't need words to convey to him how deeply dejected she was at that moment. They had a mutual awareness of the weight of disappointment and dashed hopes, an unsaid bond between them.

Andrew immediately grabbed Imbo into a consoling hug and held her against him. She melted into his arms, a sliver of comfort amid the ruins of her hopes provided by the warmth of his presence.

Imbo buried her face against Andrew's shoulder, a flood of emotions too strong to control gushing out of her. Andrew, who has always been a silent supporter, hugged her hard while feeling the weight of her suffering on his own heart.

Words didn't appear to be able to heal the shattered pieces of Imbo's broken dreams at that moment. Imbo, however, felt that his mere presence was enough. A subtle reminder that she was not suffering alone.

Together, they stood amidst the ruins of the laboratory, a tableau of resilience in the face of adversity. As Imbo's sobs gradually subsided into quiet sniffles, Andrew continued to hold her, his hand rubbing soothing circles on her back.

Alego silently came down the stairs, suddenly the air hit her nose with the thick acrid scent of chemicals. her petite frame silhouetted against the soft glow of the laboratory lights.

Alego's almond-shaped eyes widened in astonishment as they fell upon the scene before her. The once pristine laboratory now resembled a battlefield, with shards of glass littering the floor like fallen soldiers and splatters of vibrant green solution adorning the walls like battle scars.

The harsh fluorescent light cast stark shadows across Alego's face, accentuating the furrow of her brow as she took in the chaotic scene. Her lips parted in silent awe, her curiosity instantly ignited by the unusual sight before her.

Imbo and Andrew stood like sentinels amidst the wreckage, their expressions a mixture of concern and determination. Imbo's slender fingers trembled slightly as they hovered over the remnants of the shattered test tube.

Alego's presence brought a sense of innocence and purity, a beacon of light amidst the darkness. Her gaze flitted between her parents, her curiosity palpable in the air.

Imbo and Andrew exchanged a glance, a silent acknowledgment passing between them. Despite the turmoil surrounding them, they were united in their determination to protect their daughter from harm.

"Dad, Mom, what happened here?" Alego's voice carried a hint of surprise as she surveyed the mess in her mother's working space.

Imbo felt her heart skip a beat, seeing Alego's eyes dart to the green solution smeared on the walls, her hand reaching out to touch it. Imbo reacted quickly to block and gave Alego's hand a light smack.

"No, don't touch that," Imbo cautioned, her tone firm yet gentle. "It's not safe."

Alego's brow furrowed in confusion. "Did you spill slime all over?"

Imbo managed a strained smile. "Just a small science mishap, sweetheart."

Andrew, sensing the need to intervene, stepped in. "It was a small accident, nothing to worry about."

Alego's eyes darted between her parents, sensing that there was more to the story than they were letting on. "Can I help clean it up?" she offered.

Imbo shook her head. "No, it's okay, sweetheart. Your dad and I will take care of it."

Alego's curiosity only seemed to grow. "Is it bad if I touch it?" she asked, her innocent curiosity shining through.

Imbo hesitated, searching for the right words to explain the danger without causing unnecessary alarm. Before she could respond, Andrew swooped in to save the day.

"You have to do your school homework before dinner and we don't want you to be late sweetheart. So let's go," he interjected, taking Alego by the hand and guiding her toward the door.

With a wink, Andrew turned to face Imbo as they started to climb the steps. Imbo experienced a wave of thankfulness for her husband, the pillar that kept their family together, at that very time.

She watched them until they were both up the stairs and gone. Imbo's heart clenched with a mixture of fear and apprehension. She longed to shield her daughter from the harsh realities of their planet. She wanted to preserve her innocence for as long as possible.