Chapter 16

Angle

Are you down for doing 

something a little mischievous 🤔

Olive

Why did you word it like that-

But sureee

Angle

Um don't question my ways

thank you very much

So this is the plan...

We sneak out of our houses

and go for a walk :)

Olive

You forget that my

bedroom's in the attic

It's kinda hard to sneak out 😭

Angle

Okay TRUE but PLEASE

If I bring snacks will that

convince you?

Olive

Are you peer

pressuring me rn?! :0

You're such a bad influence

Angle

OH MY GOD NOOOO

I WOULD NEVER

But if you don't want

to I understand 👍

Olive

Ugh fine I'll do it

Where are we meeting?

***

Oliver Adams waited by a diner on the outskirts of town, its neon sign glowing in blues and pinks. He looked towards the town with all of its neighborhoods and businesses. They turned back around to face a long, pothole filled road. On either side there were empty corn fields, and in the distance if you looked at it close enough you could see a dark building in the distance.

Oliver wondered if this was how he would become the next true crime story as he looked out for Angel. He also wondered why Angel wanted to meet at a diner of all places. Wouldn't the waiters that worked there be concerned about kids alone at a restaurant so late at night? Before his worries got the best of him, the sound of Angel's skateboard came near and he stopped right next to Oliver, kicking up his board to hold it under his arm.

Like Oliver, he was bundled up in a sweater and a jacket. The cool November air was starting to become bitter. "You would think that I would know how to properly sneak out since I've done it before, but I guess not cause I fell out my bedroom window and my skateboard fell on my face. That's when they noticed how red the bridge of their friend's nose was.

"Oh good god. Are you okay?" Oliver got closer to Angel to get a better look. Without realizing it at first, they were mere inches apart from each other. Oliver met his eyes for a moment before he hastily stepped back. "Yeah, I'll be fine. I'm just gonna tell my parents I tripped on Mittens while I was getting water in the middle of the night. Something like that."

"Oh wow. Blaming your mistakes on poor Mittens? So rude." Oliver crossed his arms and tapped the ground with his foot for dramatic effect. His friend laughed before he led Oliver towards the eerie corn fields. "Where are we going exactly?"

"There's an abandoned bowling alley that burned down years ago, and a bunch of kids from school hang out in the parking lot at night. There shouldn't be anyone there tonight though. I would have heard something about it in the group chat."