Chapter 5

The Kids Are Alright

Sam was out checking out the other deaths. I should've gone with him to talk about what he had said earlier about the blonde woman who had been following us. He said we needed to look into our parents, but I wasn't sure why. It made no sense. My dad would've told me if something was wrong with me. 

I always assumed he didn't know why I am the way I am. 

Dean and I were nearing the Impala when we spotted Ben sitting on a park bench looking awfully upset. 

"Hey, Ben." Dean said as we neared him.

"Hey. You two were at my party." Ben stated, looking up at us.

"Is everything all right?" I asked. 

"Yeah, yeah. I'm Dean. This is my girlfriend, Saige." Dean sat down next to the boy. "Everything okay? Something wrong?" 

Ben shrugged, flipping the game case in his hands.

Dean's eyes flickered over to the group of kids across the field. "That your game they're playing with?"

"Ryan Humphrey borrowed it." Ben said, but by the way it seemed I'm not sure borrowed was the right word. 

Never was in my experience but it's exactly what I said. 

"And now he won't give it back." Ben continued. 

Yep, there it was. 

"You want to go--?" Dean was about to stand when Ben grabbed his arm. My heart warmed a little. It was sweet.

"No. Don't go there." Ben said quickly. "Only bitches send a grownup."

"Not sure we're supposed to use that word, but sure." I nodded. 

Dean nodded as well. "You're not wrong."

"And I am not a bitch." Ben continued. 

Dean smiled a little.

"Yeah, you are so looking in a mirror right now." I whispered to Dean as I sat down next to him. 

"Is that Humphrey? The one who needs to lay off the burgers?" Dean asked, gesturing to a kid.

"Oh my god, we're bullying children now, great." I muttered.  

Ben smiled and nodded his head. 

Then Dean gave Ben some...questionable advice and when I tried to intervene he placed a hand around my shoulder and over my mouth so he could give horrible advice. 

Now, we watched as Ben walked up to the other kids, tapping Ryan on the shoulder. 

Dean moved his hand from my mouth. "I give great life advice, don't interrupt me." 

"Is your great life advice to not know you have a child and then bam! There's a kid?" I asked. 

Ben looked back at Dean for assurance when Ryan ignored him. Dean gave him a thumbs up. "First of all, Lisa said he wasn't mine. Second of all, he's a cool kid. What's got your panties in a bunch?"

I blinked, sighed as Ben tapped Ryan on the shoulder again. "I just thought...I don't know--I just thought if you ever did have kids it'd be with me...not some random chick from Indiana. And I don't have anything against Ben. He's like a mini you, but I mean, whatever."

"That's what this is about?" Dean asked. "Si, even if he was my kid, I didn't say 'hey, let me knock up some random chick.' You know that if I ever had a family, it'd be with you."

"Still...this whole thing just messes with me and I don't know why." I shrugged. "And that makes me feel stupid and childish."

I kept my eyes on the kids across the field as Ben asked nicely for his game back, which didn't work. Moments later, Ben kicks Ryan in the crotch. 

"Yeah, great life advice, Dean." I muttered as he smiled. 

"Si, you're not stupid or weird or childish. Okay, listen to me, no matter what anybody says you're not." Dean told me, laughing softly as Ben walked toward us, game in hand. 

"Before we got together, did you ever...I don't know, wish I left you alone sometimes?" I asked. "Like was I around too much?"

"No, Si. Plus, we didn't see each other all the time. When we were together, we were making up for lost time. We would go weeks at a time without seeing each other." Dean set a hand on my leg. "Si, I promise, you were never too much."

"Dude, that was awesome." Ben said, smiling brightly as he walked up to us.

"Up high. Nice work." Dean held up his hand, smiling. 

Ben hit Dean's hand.

I smiled despite myself.

"Benjamin Isaac Breaden." Lisa's voice made us all freeze. "What's gotten into you?"

"He stole my game." Ben defended.

"So you kick him? Since when is--?" Lisa's eyes turned to Dean. "Did you tell my son to beat up that kid?"

"To be fair, he was trying to help him out." I spoke up. "You know, like, because kids don't really wanna bring adults into it. I get it. I dealt with bullies--" 

Lisa glared at me. 

I shut up.

Dean scoffed. "What? Somebody had to teach him how to kick a bully in the nads. It would've done Si a lot of good if she had listened to me all those years ago."

As I watched the two, it reminded me of when I would hang out at my friend Sarah's house. Her parents were separated and fought about everything consisting of how to raise Sarah. 

"Who asked you to teach him anything?" Lisa asked.

"Okay, this is a bit dramatic." I laughed nervously.

"Just relax, I--" Dean began. 

Lisa grabbed Dean's arm, pulling him up and away from Ben. "What are you even still doing here? We had one weekend together a million years ago when, may I remind you, you were in love with someone else." When Dean have her an odd look, she continued, "Yes, I knew. A woman always knows. You don't know me. You have no business with my son." Lisa moved to grab Ben's arm and walk away. "Just leave us alone."

"Co-parenting is very hard, I hear." I said jokingly, trying to lighten the mood. 

"You're back to not funny." Dean told me.

"I know." 

Suddenly, Ben ran back over, giving Dean a hug. "Thanks."

I smiled a little. 

Ben let go, turning and running back to his mother. 

"Hey, Si, creepy kids." Dean nodded. 

I turned to look. Three kids stood in a line, just staring at nothing. 

Yeah, something is so going on here.