-29-

"Necroth?" Tristan asked. "Who is he or, better question, what is he?"

Romana trembled. "We don't know. We're not sure. Necroth is an entity, a being that exists between darkness and light, between this world and the other. It appeared in the North, almost at the same time as the witches. We can't fight against it. We've tried, unsuccessfully. It's overpowering, and every battle with it ends in the death of a witch, no matter how powerful she is."

"How does he kill?"

"He drains life energy, literally sucks it out. We assume he feeds on it, sustains his form. We don't know anything for sure."

"And he only attacks witches?"

"For now."

"That's why you need the stones..." Elizabeth began. "You think you can destroy him!"

"But that's not the whole story," Tristan looked at her with narrowed eyes. "That's part of the story Annika is selling you, the destruction of Dailon and the return to Elfir, that's why you support her, along with her alliance with Lazarus. How do they plan to activate the stones, and what does Lazarus gain from it?" he asked authoritatively.

"I've revealed too much," Romana said, clenching her lips tighter.

Soren hugged her tighter. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I'll protect you, you're safe with me!"

"Ah, stop it!" she broke free from his embrace. "You can't even protect yourself. Besides, you don't know me. We're on opposite sides in this war."

"But the war hasn't started yet, theoretically. You said it yourself. Without you, they can't shield the light," he added with his most charming smile.

Romana looked away. She hugged herself with her arms. "What am I doing?" she thought to herself. She didn't trust Annika. Yes, she was their Supreme Witch, but her intentions were always shrouded in secrecy. "She lied to us!" They were never supposed to return to Elfir. She knew Soren wasn't lying. She felt it. "Lazarus?" He was even worse, darker. She frowned.

"Are you hungry?" Elizabeth suddenly asked her.

"What?" she widened her eyes.

"Are you hungry? I am. We could all go somewhere to eat and talk in peace. Do you agree, Tristan?" He looked at her questioningly, raising one eyebrow.

"I see you agree. Soren, will you be responsible for our prisoner?"

"Of course," he grinned.

"Alright then, let's all get out of this cold cell. See you upstairs!"

"What are you doing?" Tristan whispered in her ear as they slowly moved away from the cell.

"Not every outcome can be achieved through ugly means.," she replied seriously.

"She's a witch and our enemy. She's extremely powerful, if you haven't noticed. You're being reckless."

She stopped, looking him directly in the eyes. "Do you remember our first meeting?"

"When I was staring at your breasts?"

"Not that, our second meeting?"

"When you threw elven fire at me? Clear as day. That's when I fell in love with you," he smiled at her.

"That's not the point. The point is, I was afraid of you, and of Kieran, and of Soren. At first glance, you all look quite intimidating."

"And at the second?" he gently wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.