Chapter 1: You don't pay for your rent, you have your brother for that.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice." A relieved voice immediately greeted me as I entered a home-owned coffee shop.

The building is somewhere downtown in Los Angeles, strategically placed away from the Starbuckses around the city.

The coffee shop is small yet there's this warm cozy homey ambiance that leaves you wanting to go back to that coffee shop.

The interior is simplistic yet what really makes this coffee shop unique is the way they make their coffee.

I yawned as I glared at the owner of the voice. "You better serve me coffee and a good explanation why you decided to call me at bloody eight in the morning when you are well-aware that I have night shift later." I called out on her as she gave me an innocent smile while giving me her famous doe-brown puppy dog eyes.

She tossed her blonde hair into a high bun as she served me my usual.

"Good morning to you too, Alia." She smiled as she watched me sat down in front of the counter.

I rolled my eyes as I glanced around. "Where's Ryan?" I asked.

In this coffee shop, you can only see two persons working. There's the owner's niece, Lizette Cantiller and the geeky yet charming boy, Ryan Hamada.

It's a rare sight to see Lizette working alone especially when I found out that Ryan had been harbouring feelings for the former.

It's such a shame that she didn't return it for she had found love in her best friend, Michael.

She beamed. "That's why I called you here," She said, sheepishly. "Ryan made a uncalled vacation leave without telling me." She huffed as she threw an apron at me. "So you get to be his replacement."

My eyes widened as I choked on my coffee. Is she freaking serious?!

"Are you out of your mind?" I calmly asked her as she shook her head in all seriousness.

"Aw come on, Ali, you're like the regular customer here. You know our ingredients and the basics! Plus, you're kinda a genius so you can actually adjust easier." She argued.

I rolled my eyes. "You could've hired a temporary barista, you know that right?" I offered to her.

"I told Aunt Susan about that but you know that woman... She's as cheap as Mr. Krabs. So she had me to tell you that you are the temporary barista." She said. "So get your apron on and you're going to work now."

-/-

"This is dumb," I mumbled as I watched Lizette stack cups on the tray I'm holding. "What possessed you for you to come up with such horrendous idea that you had to try it on me?" I asked as she stood on tip toes just to finish the tower she was making.

Since Ryan is absent, I was the one she substituted for him. Meaning I have to be the object of her crazy ideas and also, I have to take the blame for every dumb idea that goes wrong.

"Cheer up, Lewis. I've seen this in one movie before and I wanted to try it. No one's gonna get hurt for this, and I know you have a lot of money in your account to pay for these mugs if ever it breaks down." She said as I rolled my eyes at her logic.

She is known for acting impulsive and reckless. I don't even see why she managed to have a boyfriend with the way she acts. That boyfriend of hers is a martyr...or perhaps, they are one and the same.

"I could be paying my rent instead of paying for broken mugs." I mumbled as I watched her retrieve the kettle full of coffee and stood on one of the chairs.