Chapter 16

YEAR 2024

Everything came back to normal now. The doctor checks up on you daily. There has been no commotion ever since. Life is so simple to the point that you want something. You’re craving for something. Looking at the odd wall with the piles of boxes behind, you thought about what it feels like to live again. 

“May I have your lab gown for a while?” you asked the doctor. “I’m feeling cold.” 

Kamisato looked concerned so he placed his palm on your forehead to check your temperature. “Would you like me to turn off the aircon?” 

Nevertheless, he gave you his coat, revealing his formal suit with a black tie. After the morning session, the doctor had to check up on the other patients so you were left there in the room once again by yourself. The reason why you borrowed Kamisato’s coat was for something that would help you with your disguise to go out of this hospital, such a risky move. But you only live once. Wearing the beige satin dress, you put on the lab gown and wore the black shades you found in the boxes. You wore the heels on since it was the only thing available. 

Looking at the mirror, you flinched when the doctor knocked on the door so you took off your glasses, held on tightly on the white coat as if it’s a robe  and threw the heels below the bed. 

“Sorry, I actually need the nameplate.” Kamisato went closer to undo the pin of the nameplate. “You could keep the hospital coat though since I still have extra on-”

You stepped back nervously when you noticed his eyes gazed down. Kamisato looked furious when he slid down the lab coat revealing your bare shoulders and the satin camisole you wore.

“Are you perhaps planning to sneak out?”

“I… I’m just trying it on.” 

“Take that off,” ordered Kamisato which made your eyes widen, not believing what you just heard. He then faked a cough when he realized it sounded wrong. “Apologies. I meant change”

***

Of course that didn't bother you. After a while, you still sticked to your plan. You wanted to get out of this place immediately. You wanted to feel something. To feel like living. And not just surviving.

Walking down the aisle of the hospital hallway, you felt overwhelmed. There were nurses roaming around and visitors to every hospital room. Stepping out of the hospital, you took a last glance before running away. The weather was moody today. It looks like it’s going to rain. Running away without knowing the destination, you finally feel the freedom you once felt. The street was busy as well as the people in a fancy restaurant you passed by. Looking at the dresses from a shop, you accidentally bumped into someone. 

Your heart stopped when you thought it was Kamisato since he somewhat had a resemblance to him. Pale skin and dark-blue shaded slit eyes with a waist-length white hair. ‘Is he… related to Kamisato?’ you thought. 

“Désolé- I apologize.” The tall man apologized in a formal tone. 

From a shocked face, his eyes seemed to be glued on yours for a while. Then, he apologized again and walked past. As you stepped, you looked down and saw a wallet. Thinking it was from the tall man you bumped into earlier, you tried to catch up to him even though the rain started to pour. 

“E-excuse me, Sir!” You held onto his arms so he looked back at you. “I think this wallet is from you.” 

“Thank you for your kindness.” He smiled but his eyes looked sad without a single tear streaming down. 

Some kids were strolling around when you heard them. “I have heard a myth that when it rains, the hydro dragon is crying.” 

“That was an ancient myth, Kiara! It’s not true anymore.” 

***

Stumbling into an unknown street, you stopped by and let the rain halt for a while. Your hair was soaking wet as well as the lab coat you wore so you took it off. Good thing, there were available chairs and tables in front of the cafe so you stayed there for a while and observed the hectic city. They all have their own life, own history, own stories to tell.  

The rain started to pour harder so you went into the fancy cafe and sat in the corner. After a while, a waiter went closer to you and gave you a menu. 

“Good day, Ma’am! Welcome to SereniTea Cafe.”

Shivering from the cold, the tense of getting asked for your order adds up. You didn’t sign up for this! You don't even have any pocket money with you. Praying for a miracle, you adjusted your shades, clutched at the soaked white coat on your lap and pointed at a specific order with trembling hands as the waiter took down notes.

“Got it, Ma’am. May I know your sugar level?”

“Uh… level 2?”

The waiter looked at you with knitted eyebrows, trying to comprehend what you just said. “Can you repeat that again, Ma’am?” 

“She wanted a 50% sugar level of a boba tea.”

“Got it, Sir. We’ll prepare your order for a minute.” 

With your gaze down on the menu, you couldn’t see who just saved you from a breath-taking question and answer session. You were having mixed emotions with what happened. Were you glad that someone had your back and was willing to pay for your tea? Or felt frightened because that person who paid for you was actually…

“I will have the same order as her. Thank you.” 

“Excuse me… I think you have the wrong table.” You tried to act innocent and adjusted your shades again. 

“Oh, really?” He looked into your eyes even though you had your tinted shades on. “Then maybe I’d have to cancel my payment for your drink.” 

You sighed in defeat and grabbed his hand when he stood up. “Fine! I’m sorry. I just had to… Are you going to bring me back to that prison again now?” 

“I’m really disappointed in you, young lady.”

You rolled your eyes and slid your shades up to your hair. “You caught me. What are you gonna do, police officer?” Sarcastically with pleading eyes and offering your wrists for him to put handcuffs on, Kamisato puts down your hand on the table.

“With that absurd attitude of yours, you're more likely going to spend half of your lifetime in the hospital with me.”