Chapter 14

“I’m sorry. May I know how you are related to the patient?” asked Nurse Thoma, narrowing his eyes.

“Oh come on, Thoma! Stop acting like we didn’t have a past. I have every right to visit her,” the man replied. “Now now, you may take your leave, Nurse Thoma.” Emphasizing the word, “nurse.”

Thoma knows work ethics and he knows the rights of the patient’s visitors so he doesn’t have any choice but to walk out and give a final look to your visitor.

“Despite all that had happened, I know you can’t forget me, my Love,” he started.

‘Why do I feel like he looks like someone I could date? He looks heavily handsome anyway. However, I can’t just feel anything.’ you silently thought.  “Now, I’m certain you’re Kaeya,” you surely said.

“That’s my girl.” Kaeya patted your head.

“NOT your girl.” The doctor went into the room with the nurse and took the fruits and flowers from your side table. “She’s allergic to calla lilies.”

Kaeya scoffed and folded his arms on his chest. “Are you for real?”

“My apologies. But the visiting hours have already ended.”

“What do you mean? I just got here, Doc Kamisato Ayato.”

“I don’t want to repeat myself, Sergeant Kaeya Alberich.”

The two fuming men envelop the room with anger and hatred as they argue in different languages. Kamisato calmly but intimidatingly argues in Japanese while Kaeya fiercely argues in German.

“N-nurse…?” you tried to look for him for help to stop them but Thoma was filming them using his phone with a focused and curious look so you had no choice but to get up and get in between them. “ENOUGH! Enough with this childish behavior! BOTH OF YOU, this is unprofessional! Act like your age!” you shouted and then pointed at Thoma. “AND YOU! Stop acting childish as well and tolerating this act! You should know better!”

And with that, the faded darkness covers your sight as you try to feel and control your limbs. You couldn’t move. You couldn’t control your body. You feel exhausted and can’t control your eyelids to fold.

It felt like a long dream. Once again, you woke up, not knowing what day and what time is it. You tried to move your fingers first but you suddenly felt like someone was holding your left hand. Looking down to your side, you saw his blue hair slumped over the side of your bed while he was sitting on a chair. His position looked uncomfortable. You raised your finger and moved his hair away from his pale skin. Staring at his soft lips, unholy scenes flashed into your mind quickly like a film.

“I would melt with that stare of yours, Ma’am.”

Adrenaline rushed, and you smacked his delicate face with a pillow. “I’m not staring at you. I’m dissociating.”

Kamisato chuckled and fixed his hair before genuinely checking up on you. “How are you feeling now, Ma’am?” He helped you sit up straight. “I’m sincerely apologizing for what happened last week on behalf of Sir Kaeya as well-” 

“I’m sorry. Last week?”

“Unfortunately, you’ve been out since last week. The trouble we caused really affected you.” He held your soft hand and caressed it. “So, allow me to make it up to you. Hm?”

You had so many questions clouding up your mind but you’re certain that Kamisato won’t answer it anyway. Kamisato kept his word as days went by. He has been visiting and checking up on you every hour.

However, as time goes by, you feel the boredom slowly creeping up on you. The plain white room makes you crazy, feeling like you’re in a prison. Because of that, you start rummaging around the room, trying to find a source of interest. Until you noticed something odd on the white wall, you went closer to it and slowly slid the odd wall, revealing piled boxes. 

Curiosity hits. There were years written on it. The box located in the middle caught your attention most since it was overflowing. It has been written on,  “2015.” Right after you opened it, the door opened as well, welcoming Kaeya with someone.

“Hi, my Love. I’ve heard the news that you’re finally awake and doing well.” Kaeya placed the fruits he brought on your side table and kissed the back of your palm.

“Stop calling her Love. You two were over less than a decade ago, Kaeya.” The fierce man also placed meals and snacks he brought on your side table with overflowing fresh bounties.

“Shut up, Diluc.”

“We dated? Why... did we break up?” you faced and asked Kaeya.

“He’s persistent to do something intimate with you which you clearly didn’t like,” answered Diluc anyway.

“Diluc, with all due respect, can you shut your goddamn mouth for a second? I’m trynna prove something here. You’re just bitter because you couldn’t date her back then. Such a coward.” Kaeya rolled his eyes.
“You… liked me?” you looked at Diluc this time.

“I will kill you, Kaeya.” Diluc avoiding your gaze, glared at his brother with annoyance in his eyes.

Good thing, there hasn’t been a commotion this time. When the visiting hours already ended, Diluc and Kaeya said their good byes to you and promised to visit again some other time.

Once again, boredom hits you so you looked at the odd wall with piled boxes behind it. You carried the box down again and finally opened it. Dust flied over which made you cough. The first thing you saw was your textbooks in 10th grade. The mathematics textbook with sketches of someone beside a formula equation. The chocolate and snack wrappers. The dried petals of flowers framed. And lastly, a promise ring with a sapphire gem on it which reminds you of someone’s eyes.

Seeing the beige satin camisole dress and looking at the blinding sunlight, you thought of something. You felt like going out as this hospital feels like a prison. But, how could you escape?