Chapter 9

"Can you still see the way you're walking?" he asked, then he stopped and walked in front of you to lift your chin up but you tried to avoid him. "Are you crying?"

"Just walk."

"Please look at me." He tried to lift your chin up again but you harshly shove his hand away. "Let me wipe off the tears of yours."

"I'm not crying," you mumbled. Ayato knelt to look at your face and that's when you tilted your head up so he stood up again. "Please, just walk."

You felt like he was not convinced since he just still stood there in front of you. He embraced you with a warm hug and dug his face into your shoulder. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'll just buy you the whole forest and farm."

"It's not about that. I'm not mad or anything." You tried to push him away but he's not letting go so you gave up and just let him hug you. His small giggle cut off that silence between the two of you. "What are you laughing at?" you asked.

Ayato stepped back to look at you but you looked away. "You're flustered, aren't you?"

"What are you saying? I'm not." You started to walk and left him there. "What made you say that?"

He tried to catch up with you. "I can literally feel your blood rushed on your neck while I was hugging you, Sweetheart."

"Stop."

"Stop? Stop what, Darling?" His mischievous smile annoyed you so you walked faster as he maintained his pace. Ayato walked faster and stopped in front to face you. "Have I told you already you look wonderful tonight?" 

You rolled your eyes and took the other direction. "Stop playing with me, Kamisato Ayato."

"I like it when you say my name," Ayato said as he walked beside you. After a few moments of acting nonchalant, Ayato was nowhere to be seen. It was dark and the only thing that guides you along the way is the trail that has been left behind. 

The cold breeze made you realize that you lost him so you ran back to search for him. Because of that, you regretted being nonchalant to him. While you were looking from side to side, you stumbled on someone. Even though it was dark, you knew it was him because of his familiar scent. You slightly punched his chest and held his arm as the both of you walked in the dark forest. "Where have you been?! I was looking for you! Don't do that again. I'll be held accountable if I lost you-"

Ayato stopped and gave you a mini bouquet of flowers compiled in a leaf that he gathered in the forest while you weren't looking earlier. "Hmm... suits you very much." He tucked the camellia flower behind your ears.

"I- thank you. I appreciate this." Your anger flew away along with the cold wind. "You don't have to do this, honestly. You don't owe me something."

"You fold easily, huh?"

"Huh? What? I'm not-"

"Sweet gestures, receiving gifts, words of affirmation. I know you too well, Sweetheart," he said without stuttering. "Don't let them fool you."

You scoffed. "What are you trying to imply?"

"My apologies if the truth will hurt you. However, I just realized that you're easy to lure."

"What am I supposed to do with this then?" You looked at the mini bouquet of flowers he made just for you. "Refuse to accept it?"

"Most likely? Perhaps?" Ayato uncertainty replied. After a moment of silence, he seriously looked at you while walking. "If you don't mind me asking, do you get attached with anyone you just met?"

"I'm still not quite sure what you're trying to imply, Mr. Kamisato."

"If I'm not mistaken, have you had a talk with the cavalry captain from Mondstadt before?"