Chapter 15

“You told me you would reach out to me, Ayato! Why weren’t you replying to my messages and answering my calls? It has already been a week ago!” you burst, showing the missed phone calls. “I am worried sick about you.” 

“You don’t have to come and travel to another city all the way here, Love-”

“Don’t you ever call me Love!” You shoved away his hand trying to grab yours. “I understand that you’re busy and all but my messages were sent already a week ago!”

“This is quite complicated.” Ayato sighed heavily and sat down on a bench in the park. Luckily, there weren’t any people roaming around this time witnessing the commotion as it was already midnight.

“Then make it less complicated for me to understand!” 

“Can we talk this out calmly?” Ayato stood up, holding both of your arms with his supplicating eyes, enough for you to melt. “First of all, I apologize for not replying to your messages and answering your calls. Secondly… I’m not really in the position to disclose such information-”

“May I ask why?”

“As I’ve said, I cannot disclose such confidential information,” he just simply replied. “I don’t have a choice. They could easily track down all my activities on my phone. I don’t want you to be involved in this matter.”

“What exactly did you do to be involved in a serious matter, Ayato?”

“I did not do anything. My parents are involved in illegal matters. But since I’ve once heard something that I shouldn’t know, I’m involved in this mess as well now.”

Cold midnight breeze embraced you as you looked deeply into his eyes. He looks genuine and is telling the truth. “Then, until when are going to be like this?” you whispered, full of hope.

“I’ll clean up this mess as soon as possible,” he answered, giving you a warm hug while softly patting the back of your head. “Please don’t give up on me, my Love.”

Looking both at his eyes, once again, the moon and stars collided when his soft lips met yours. Even though he kissed you many times, this kiss was somewhat familiar, feeling like it’s both of you against the world again.  

***

No updates. No calls. No messages. Staring at the promise ring he gave to you and holding on to the words he last said to you were keeping you determined to wait for him. But in times of no reassurance and updates, you slowly forget his existence. His laugh. His eyes. His hair. His presence. Himself. 

“I told you many times already, Kaeya. Albedo’s schedule is different from mine now.” It was obvious that Kaeya has been eyeing your laboratory partner, Albedo, for quite a long time now so Kaeya is always with you, asking for Albedo’s schedule. 

The last senior year of high school has been tough on you. There were lots of research here and there as well as projects and immersions. You just want to get out of this school. Stressing out, you suddenly remember Ayato. If he was still here beside you, these stressful works would probably lessen. Probability and statistics assignments would be much easier. Biology and chemistry would be basic only if he were just here. 

“Good morning, Sunshine!” greeted Kaeya to you with joy as usual.

Doing all the assignments at the last minute, you looked at him with annoyance in your eyes. “What do you want this time, Kaeya?”

“Is it bad greeting you a morning, Grumpy?”

“If you came here looking for him, no, he told me that he would be absent for today.”

Kaeya looked up and folded his arms on his chest. “I actually came here for you. I’m just thinking if we could unwind, grab an iced coffee, and just contemplate life for a while after a stressful hell week,” he said, putting back your things in your bag.  

“Everday is hell week, Kaeya.” 

“Exactly.” Kaeya stood up, offering his hand. “We’re not getting younger anymore so… shall we?” And just like that, you started to hang out more often with Kaeya. It has been a wholesome journey in senior high school because of him. 

***

“Where were you last time?” started Albedo when you met him in the laboratory with his white lab gown. 

“I just went out to grab some coffee…? 

Albedo sighed. “I just did all the work in the lab for our last project. Now, tell me how am I going to get your participation grades when you didn’t help me at all.”

“You did all the work?! Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I thought we were already clear about our meeting yesterday that we’re going to finish this laboratory project today since we agreed that we’re going to finish our own projects on the next day,” he calmly but fiercely said. 

“I’m so… sorry.” 

“Unfortunately, your sorry won’t change your participation grades.” Albedo sighed again.

You close your eyes firmly and think of something. “Is there still something I could do? I cannot afford to fail this subject!” 

Albedo looks up at the ceiling and thinks for a favor. “Actually, there is something you could do.”

Your eyes sparked with hope when he said that. “Oh, I would do anything!” 

“I know something is up with Kaeya,” started Albedo. “However, I’m not interested in him as he would just be a distraction from my academics. Pushing him away and avoiding him is not enough. So, I want you to be with him.” 

“I… don’t think I could do that, Albedo,” you hesitantly replied. With Albedo’s nonverbal cue by just looking at the lab document with your blank grades on the participation section, you sighed in defeat and just agreed. “Until when am I going to keep up with this?”

Albedo thinks for an answer for a while. “After our graduation would be nice.” 

After that, Albedo gave you a perfect score as a participation grade and gave you a satisfied smile before going out of the laboratory.