Chapter 17: A Prisoner Again

Start from the beginning

***

A familiar face welcomed her back when she woke next time. Sunlight filtered through the white cloth. The wagon was motionless.

"How do you feel?" Felix asked. His fingers measured the pulse in her throat. The chatty man was still sitting in his spot.

"Thirsty," she croaked out. Felix frowned. He glared at the man, who simply shrugged his broad shoulders.

Felix opened a flask, raised Summer's head with one hand and gave her a drink. "I'll give you a pain reliever. You'll sleep the rest of the trip."

"Leon?" she asked. "Alive?"

Felix pursed his lips but nodded.

"What's happening?" she asked. "I don't understand, the last thing I remember-"

"Alright, enough," the man said, his voice low and threatening. "Let's move on."

Felix sighed. He made me drink a bitter tasting potion and touched my forehead with gentle hands. "Sleep now. Don't worry. When Leon wakes up, he'll fix everything."

"Sir Felix," the man said, "communicating with the prisoner is not allowed. Please step outside."

Felix glared at the man. "I will treat my patient on my own terms, Wolfe. If you have any objections, you're welcome to voice them outside of my and my patient's hearing."

Wow. It was the first time Summer saw something other than a mellow expression on his face. He was usually so gentle and well mannered.

The man sat up straighter. In the little sunlight creeping through the opening, his features grew more clear. He was about the same age as Leon, short dark hair, dark eyes, a clean shaven face. His bulbous nose, paired with the permanent scowl gave his face a mean look.

Felix checked Summer's bandages. She no longer wore her blood soaked, dirty clothes. Instead, she was dressed in a new blue tunic and a brown long skirt. Well, at least her clothes were nice.

"You have a nicely colored bruise on your jaw. Your shoulder and your side were stitched, they will most likely leave scars. You have lost a great deal of blood. If we hadn't found you when we did, you and Leon would have died that very evening."

Summer frowned. "How long ago was that?"

"Five days ago. You slept for most of them," Felix answered. The wagon flap opened and Ida jumped inside. She looked at Summer, Felix, the man, then hunkered down beside Felix.

"How are you holding up?"

"Terrific," Summer replied.

"You look like hell."

"Thanks." Summer smiled. "You don't look half as good yourself."

Ida made a face. Her eyes were almost glowing with anger. Fury radiated off her in palpable waves. "Thanks, I try. What happened?"

"Ida, you should-"

Ida turned her blazing expression on to the man who just spoke, "you will either shut up or walk out of here, Wolfe."

Ida turned back to her. Summer was beginning to feel sorry for the man. Not really.

"We took a nice dive into the river," Summer began. "Leon got us out. We somehow survived the first night. Men were looking for us. They found our hideout the next day. I killed two. Leon bludgeoned the other to death. And here we are."

Ida rubbed her temple. "I guessed as much. How in the world are you two still alive is beyond me."

"Well, Leon almost croaked. He had a fever. But that asshole is too stubborn to die."