Why Bad Guys Seem Better than the Good

Have you ever rooted for the bad guy when watching a movie or TV show? I have multiple times and I got curious as to why. I also wanted to know if I was the only one. I was most definitely not the only one.

The villain has more depth than the heroes do. The heroes represent everything moral in our society while the villains have their own warped views. Sure, these views are supposedly wrong, but why the villain has these views and who the villain is at a whole is so much more interesting. Especially since heroes are very uncomplicated compared to villains which is what makes them boring.

Another reason people root for the bad guys is because they know the villain will lose in the end. People get tired of the good guys always winning. People root for the party least likely to win because that's the one most relatable.

People may also root for the bad people in movies and TV shows because we are afraid to do what they do. We like to 'live it through them' without the consequences. People like to see people who don't always make good decisions because it's more realistic.

We root for people who lie and cheat because we see that as a flaw in ourselves, and we relate to that. We think some of the laws people break in movies is okay because there's a justifiable reason behind that decision.

The 'anti heroes' can make us feel better about ourselves and that's why we like them.

The people who make movies, books, and TV shows are always trying to make the heroes people who most wouldn't expect to succeed. The only problem is in almost every single book, movie, and TV show the villain always loses. The hero is what the makers are trying to make the heroes seem like under dogs and sure, that would work if the hero didn't always end up winning. Since they always end up winning, the villains also become the under dogs.