25. The Invitation

Start from the beginning

Aadhrit chuckled, amazed at how Nishith had spotted the obvious reason for his discomfort so flawlessly.

" Exactly, you seem to know all of my troubles. Now do what you're best at."

Aadhrit shrugged as he leaned back on the couch.

" Are you sure of the authenticity of the source ?" ...Nishith suggested intelligently.

" Not really, but now that I think of it, there's a point. Do you sense foul play? " .......he straightened from his previously leaning position.

" Not really. However, it's important that we know what we're dealing with. From what it seems, it could be anything ranging from a kingdom trying to establish relations, to a culprit who wants to create misunderstandings between two giants in the land. "

Aadhrit nodded.

" Right. " ...He said.

A few moments of silence followed. Aadhrit leaned towards the table as he ran his fingers on the outline of the scroll. Finally he broke the silence.

" Okay. Let's keep this in the backdrop. For now, we consider the scenario where the authenticity is confirmed. What follows in that case ? "

Nishith nodded.

" Have you consulted or informed either the king or the queen ?" ... .he threw again.

Once again, aadhrit was stupefied as he sat there staring at nishith.

" Come on dude. Would you stop attacking me like that ? It's getting hard. " ......He threw his hands in the air almost like a child. This careless aura of the heir was visible very rarely and only around a selected few people.

Nishith had to be one of them. He smiled gently, keeping a hand on Aadhrit's shoulder.

" I'm not attacking you. The terminology is a bit inapt. However, it's painful to see your lack of preparedness provided that you're always equipped till teeth. Perhaps, even you aren't holding up well with how unprepared you're. "

Aadhrit looked at the hand on his shoulder and then at nishith.

" Maybe. This was just so sudden. Malik's have never bothered about us. They had always been straight in their ways. And suddenly they want me at their coronation. I am not against strengthening neighbouring relations, but we've been around for half-a-decade. They never felt the need till now but only now. They couldn't care less about their neighbours. Especially when this invitation is specifically addressed to me. "

Nishith nodded once again.

" True. So neither the king or the queen know about this ?"

" No, not till now at least." ....aadhrit said as he shook his head lightly.

" Do you think I should tell them ? I didn't really care about it till now. I mean, I have to be the one dealing with things sooner than I think. Perhaps, I could tell them but I feel like I know their reply. " ......He folded his arms as he sat back in a more comfortable position now.

Nishith chuckled in an odd way. As if not believing aadhrit.

" You're nervous." ....he simply worded it out.

" What ? No-" ......aadhrit was cut mid-sentence as he tried to defend himself.

" You've been changing your position constantly and you keep tapping your foot. Your body language is a clear giveaway. "

Aadhrit looked at nishith with a look mixed with annoyance and admiration.

" What exactly is it tho ? The letter or telling your parents about the letter? " .....the question followed.