Chapter 3

Misarre

Present

Page 1

Current Outfit

Screetch

Screetch.

The piercing sound of trains reverberates through the air, accompanied by the acrid scent of smoke seeping into my lungs. I nearly choke on the thick haze enveloping us.

"It's not so bad once you've grown accustomed to it," Noro remarks, taking another deep breath.

"Speak for yourself; this can't be good for anyone's health," I retort, hastily covering my mouth and nose with my hand.

Noro simply shrugs as we press on, making our way toward the bustling hub of the train station. He explains that it's called Central - the most convenient and efficient route to wherever one needs to go. These trains are not only magically enhanced for speed but also enveloped in a protective layer of magic.

Central loomed large before us, a testament to lavishness with no expense spared. The sheer magnitude of the place overwhelmed me, as did the throngs of people bustling about. The mere thought of being enclosed within that sea of humanity sends shivers down my spine.

I find it difficult to fathom ever becoming accustomed to the opulent and extravagant lifestyle of the city.

Page 2

"Over here," Noro directs, leading us toward a ticket counter. He retrieves a coin from his pocket and hands it to the lady behind the counter.

"Where to?" she asks politely.

"Adeunep," Noro replies.

"Ah, you must be new students. A bit late for the school year aren't you?" she remarks as she prepares the tickets.

"You're mistaken; I'm no student, but she is," Noro says with a smile. The woman looks at him, then at me, confusion evident on her face. I shrug and shake my head.

"Well... um, here you go. Good luck in your endeavors," she says, offering a somewhat awkward smile.

Noro swiftly collects the change and tickets before we proceed toward the awaiting train.

"So-"

"Don't," Noro interrupts, halting me from completing my sentence. We continue our journey until we arrive at our designated platform.

"I don't recall there being any trains in Ctholo," Noro remarks as we wait.

"No, there aren't. In fact, technology and magic are scarcely utilized there," I explain.