The Needles

Thirty-two great cycles later.

A swift messenger dove races through the magenta midnight sky, where the argent light of the Great Moon and distant winking starlight guide the pilgrim home. Far beneath the dove's flight, a barbed world of impassable black mountains connects the earth with the sky. The needle-like peaks grasp at the heavens in a silhouette of mountainous, razor-sharp claws. The sheer Needle mountaintops sow through midnight's cloth of rolling clouds, emerging from a lush valley thick with forests, flowering meadows, and roaring rivers.

The Kabel Monastery perches on the highest of the serrated summits. The Kabel Monastery floats between the heavens and the earth, suspended above the sea of clouds. Hewn from enormous slabs of pure white stone, the monastery covers every space on the mountaintop. It shines like a precious white jewel beneath the silvery light of the Great Moon.

The Third Great Age. Great Cycle 3031.

˜ ˜ ˜

High Priest Anon sits at his small wooden desk. A single candle warms his soft, round face. He stares out through a narrow stone window, looking into the depths of the stellar night. Heavy reflection gnaws at his troubled mind until a fluttering of wings with a sweet low coo breaks his sombre stare. "Ah. There you are." The messenger dove comes to perch on the narrow window ledge. High Priest Anon raises a plump finger as the dove hops into his outspread hand. He removes a small roll of parchment from the dove's leg before the dove nests in its moonlit cage.

Esteemed High Priest, Anon. The Order of The One.

My faithful friend, It is with regret that I come to you with such an obligation, but what lay in slumber and bound by stone now awakens. Ana incarnate rises, and his spirit manifests. The old adversary imposes his power through the Prince of Galt. The prince is gathering those who are most loyal and rebuilding his armies. The young prince shines the light on a new kingdom in a masquerade of false hope. Like moths to a flame, the lords of Galt will unite behind his cause and support his claim to the throne. The time of peace is ending as the machine of war heralds a dark new dawn. As it was in the first age, it will be in ours. Ana seeks that which remains hidden, and The Athanas Stone must leave Thiel. You cannot trust those deemed closest to you, and long shadows already conceal the light. Sedition thrives in your own order, ensured by Prince Madon's Galtish gold. Send the child. He needs to bring only the Athanas stone and his mind. He must risk the old path, where a carriage awaits.We face the ultimate test of our age. Prepare The Order as planned. You will receive a substantial donation of my gratitude and loyalty.

Your faithful friend.

Lord Varesh, Elder Mage of the Elim.

56th Turn of the Summer. Great Cycle. 3103.

˜ ˜ ˜

Danan wakes from a thoughtless slumber. Pale moonlight seeps into his small room through a single, narrow stone window. Footsteps creak on the wooden floor of his small bedchamber before dim candlelight blurs his half-focused vision. Danan shuffles upright, dazed. His hard wooden bed creaks in protest as he reaches for a small cup of water resting on his rickety bedside table. Fragile pearls of ice catch in his parched throat as he sips the freezing water. Danan drapes a threadbare woolen blanket around his shaking shoulders. Anxious, his fingers subconsciously twist the frayed edge of his woolen blanket as he speaks. "Your Holiness," his breath forms wisps of cloud in the numbing cold, "how can I serve?"

"That's the right question, Danan. We all serve." The High Priest's tone resonates with wise reassurance. "How we serve is how we are all judged." Anon perches on the corner of Danan's bed. The pair of gentle souls find solace in a moment of comfortable silence. The High Priest breaks the peaceful lull. "I remember when you first came to us. You were a quiet child, even as a babe. I hope after all these years we can call each other family, perhaps even friends."