XVII

[Jisei here! I will take over for a while!]

********************************

This man will die if no one helps him.

Choi Han could only watch Cale tremble as he slept. His restless night began as he left Rowoon's kingdom. He had chills, a fever, and even coughed-up blood. They all abandoned themselves to provide him with warmth. They gave him every coat and robe, but all they got in return was a pitiful whimper.

He looked at him with bitterness and sadness.

Why is he willing to suffer like this?

He observed the agony that Cale was experiencing.

He calls his father. Call his mother in a very sad tone.

He was his first companion, but Choi Han understood that he could never make this man feel better.

He lacked the power and characteristics necessary to make this man happy.

To make him forget about his painful memories.

He stretches his hand out. He patted Cale's head and stroked his cheeks. Cale's whimpers ceased, and a small smile spread across his face.

It is so hard to watch him suffer like this.

He deserves all of the love, attention, and everything else in his life, but why? Why is he throwing away everything? He would not have to suffer in this way. He did not have to cry himself to sleep.

He only needs to be happy and live his remaining life without doing anything.

Yet...

He understood that the happiness of those around him was essential to his own.

Choi Han lay down next to Cale. He did not care if the old man was going to kill him; he grabbed Cale and wrapped him in his arms. It is unsightly, and he knows it is unforgivable to touch a nobleman's body—but Cale scooted closer, and his heart melted.

Cale opened his eyes and looked at him, saying, "It's... warm." His half-lidded eyes indicated that he enjoyed it, "This is the first time..."

"Your first time?"

"Someone has ever comforted me when I am sick."

His heart had broken even more.

Cale remembered being alone whenever he was sick. His father was nowhere to be found, and his new family kept a respectful distance from him. He remembered crying silently as he endured the pain.

During those painful times, he had only himself.

He could only see himself crying in despair.

"Cale-nim, do not worry. Just hold onto me whenever you want."

Cale chuckles before falling asleep.

Choi Han's tears were already gathering in the corners of his eyes. He carefully patted Cale's back and tightened his embrace. He knew he should not sympathize with this person; all he had was respect for him, but he could not bear the agony of watching him become unhappy.

"Cale-nim, I will always be here for you."

Choi Han promised.

Cale was bitter about keeping this man by his side. Choi Han may have met a good person who could help him become even stronger.

But Cale didn't know what made a person stronger than anyone else.

.

.