XVI

"JUST LET ME SEE MY BROTHER!" Bassen screams, unconcerned about every piercing gaze directed at him. The Royal Knights refused his and Deruth's entry because it was Alver Crossman's order.

He is currently outside the Palace of Joy, demanding permission to see his brother.

But...

An equally stern Alver Crossman, whose smiling facade had vanished, stared at him with contempt.

"Young Lord Bassen Henituse; one more and I will charge you with treason."

Bassen clenched his teeth.

"I do not care if you charge or kill me; just let me see my brother, Your Highness."

Alver looked at Bassen's serious expression. He knew Cale was loved by his family, but he needed to keep his end of the bargain and not let any Henituse get close to him.

"I can not betray my benefactor," Alver said solemnly. "This is what Cale Henituse wanted."

Not having anything from Henituse County within reach.

Bassen's rage subsided when he said that.

"To the point, he asked you that?" It was pure pain, devoid of any respect whatsoever. Alver could not understand what it was like to have his sibling worry about him. He could not understand the pain of a sibling who only wanted to see his ailing brother.

Cale did, however, make him promise that after saving everyone from the incident, he would keep the County away from him.

Alver watched Bassen Henituse's pitiful performance. The young man appeared to have lost his strength as he buckled and collapsed to the ground. He was kneeling in front of him, unlike a nobleman who would raise his chin.

Bassen was kneeling, tears streaming down his cheeks.

His hand reached out and grabbed the hem of his robe.

"I beg you...your highness," Bassen's voice was too painful to hear. Alver tried not to feel sorry for the boy, who stated, "I do not care if I am not allowed near him. Just one glance... Just one time."

Begging for something was never a nobleman's practice.

"I am willing to beg Your Highness to allow me to see him just once."

Alver bit his lips and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Forgive me." Alver spoke with sincerity and pity towards this goodhearted boy, "but this is what your brother wants."

He slightly pushed Bassen away and had the knights stop him from following after him. He could hear his mournful and throat-tearing cries echoing, shouting, and pleading.

Cale Henituse, you have a very kind brother.

"I am sorry, Lord Henituse." that's Alver's words to Bassen Henituse.

So kind that he is willing to give up his pride and beg him, the kingdom's most useless and powerless Crown Prince. He is so kind that he is crying in front of his palace, kneeling and begging, even if it means screaming and losing sight of his noble status. That is something he will never go through with his siblings and other family members. They are to destroy each other, knock each other to the ground, or put each other in their proper places. He did not have the benefit of a strong sibling bond with them.

Perhaps Cale Henituse was in the same situation, where he had to wear his heart on his sleeve and suffer.

I do not understand why you have to push them away when they love you.