XIV

Bassen asked Cale, "Where were you last night?" early in the morning.

Cale had been imposing on Bassen for the entire founding celebration. Cale attended on Bassen's behalf, but he did not comment. He simply nodded and sighed in relief when Cale returned to the villa.

He honestly felt like Bassen adored him as a brother. Bassen was genuinely concerned about him, even though they had no blood relationship. Cale, on the other hand, could not accept that affection, even when it was expressed and demonstrated right in front of him.

I might have been too broken to accept them now.

That was what he thought.

The fear of abandonment.

The fear of being left waiting with expectations.

Cale decided not to expect anymore. The more he did, the more painful it became. The more he expects, the more disappointed he is by reality.

He acknowledged Bassen with a smile. It was his usual fake smile, assuring everyone that nothing was wrong. He sat down and waited for Bassen to complete his task before speaking.

"I will leave after the Banquet Celebration."

Cale realized that he had never called this little brother by name. Since his return, he has only called him brother once, but not by his name. No, that was wrong. He was unable to say his own name.

Bassen simply nodded and gritted his teeth.

"I will make preparations."

"You don't have to."

Cale hands him a piece of paper. It is his last will.

"You..."

"I hope you will respect my decisions, Bassen."

Bassen was holding his breath. Cale called his name in a kind and gentle tone.

His final will only stated his desire to be disowned and had nothing to do with the county. It was a difficult decision for him, but everyone needed to survive and live.

Cale must complete his mission before departing this world.

He calmly stood up and was about to leave when Deruth Henituse appeared behind him. He was impeding his ability to leave the room. His father's expression caused him to hesitate.

But this is not the time to hesitate.

He doesn't expect anything from his father anymore.

"My Lord."

Deruth's tears, which he had tried not to shed, fell on his cheeks. It stabbed Cale's heart millions of times, but he can not back down now.

"Do you realize you are hurting me?" Deruth asked. His voice was somber, filled with anguish and pain that he had never expressed.

"I know," Cale said. "But did you know you are the most painful thing in my world?"

Deruth was taken aback. Cale felt his tears as if they were drifting. Just like how those petals flew from a magical rose, causing pain and regret the moment they fell from the bud. All of their grief stems from the rift of unremembered skies and lonely rain.

They both knew they were going to crumble.

Yes.

It is both sad and beautiful.

So tremulously, like a dream.

Cale had had enough of the indifference and sadness.

"You don't need me to be happy anymore."

Cale had never felt he was a part of their family. He had never felt that love or the struggle to be close to him. They made no effort; that's why he's so broken. Broken to the core, with his heart patched in a pitiful rope.

"You don't need me to be complete anymore." His words rang painfully inside this room. "You don't need me to stand in the way of your happiness anymore."

He lived as a relic of his mother.

He lives as a memory that even his father couldn't look at for years.

He was the greatest count of the northeast, and he was his son who wasted his life.

"It's my turn to find my happiness, My Lord."

He stared at his father and smiled.

"You have a family who could make you happy, more than how we made you happy."

Deruth, whose smile never reached his ears when his mother was still alive, was the father who couldn't be truly happy with a woman who never loved him.

He was the fruit of that struggle, and he can't be the person Jour would choose.

"You don't need me to find your own happiness anymore."

Cale smiled and walked towards Deruth. Deruth had fallen silent from all of his rumblings and stood there with his head bowed.

"I... do not understand..."

Cale stated, "You do not have to. I just want to be free. Please..."

Cale will call him one last time with the words he kept close to his heart.

"Please let me go, Father; I am not happy anymore."

Deruth's fist gradually relaxed. His expression paled, and everything went silent.

Cale smiled as he patted his father's cheek.

One last time. One last more.

"Thank you for everything, Father," Cale says softly, kissing his father's cheeks.

Deruth finally realized it the moment he stared at Cale's clear eyes. His foolishness became the flame of sadness for his child. He couldn't protect Cale's heart, the very thing that illuminated the path he walked on.

The heart that filled his broken heart, the heat that he has embraced with his arms.

Everything came crashing, as Cale's melancholic smile could be seen.

He failed him. He failed as a father.

He has no right to stop him from seeking something he has always wanted. He cupped Cale's hand with his palm. Immaculately trying to make him stay.

He was about to hold his child but Raon cast a spell that teleported Cale into the heart of the city.

Cale gazed at his empty hands. The warmth from his father's touch made him smile. He turned around and looked at the people gathered around him.

Not only that, the Crown Prince was standing in front of him, with a serious expression on his face.

"The deal." Alver Crossman spoke, "I'll accept it."

Cale smiled. Fleeting and distant, as if he'd disappear in no time.

Alver stared at him, and realized the very root of his pain—but said nothing as everything that reflected in Cale's eyes—was truly mesmerizing...

.

.

.

His eyes were filled with love.

It made the Crown Prince think—How can he give so much when he couldn't give himself?

A question that he never had the chance to ask.

TB C