XV

Dawn finally breaks into light. Cale and his men prepared countermeasures against Redikka. Cale's greatest accomplishment has been predicting the locations of the bombs. During the last three regressions, the bombs never moved from one post, but were brought by different people. However, he is confident that people will carry them at his indicated points. The only thing he needed to look for was where the final three or four bombs would be placed.

The final three or four are the only things that are unpredictable.

That is why Cale took the silver shield in case anything goes wrong during this operation.

The question is, will his cursed body be able to take the power of the silver shield?

Even if he had the vitality of the heart, his cursed soul would affect his body. He did not have many physical ailments, but he will always succumb to pain.

He coughed and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. He let out a sigh to calm himself. He felt something cold against his cheeks. He recognized it as the black dragon attempting to comfort him from the pain he was currently experiencing.

He leans over the child and pats its body. Cale never had the opportunity to find comfort in his previous regressions. His subordinates either looked down on him or despised him. Strong people would insult him. Alver Crossman had to keep his distance, even though he referred to him as a friend.

He did not have any company on his journey.

He did not have anyone to lean on when his soul broke at every turn.

This time, he has been blessed with a small, cold yet warm existence that would always seek shelter on his shoulders.

He asked the black dragon, "What is your name?"

"Name? I do not have anything like that," the black dragon responded.

Cale smiled bitterly. He can not help but say, "I hope you get one soon; after all, a person's name is as sacred as their existence; it is the symbol of their identity."

"Why don't you give me a name?" the black dragon asked.

Cale smiled and patted his head, "Unfortunately, I cannot provide that."

A name is so valuable that he expected it to represent attachment.

"But I am sure... someone amazing will give you a very wonderful name," he said. "Someone you will trust with all your heart. You are a mighty and strong dragon. You are bound to roam around and find meaning in your existence. I am sure... you will have a befitting name given to you by someone more deserving than me."

The black dragon revealed itself and stared at him.

"You are weak."

"I know."

"Useless too."

"Haha. I know."

The black dragon scoffed and said, "But you're kinder than anyone I've ever met. So this strong and mighty black dragon will protect you."

Cale suddenly felt at ease. He can't help but place his forehead over the dragon's head.

"I hope," an earnest wish for someone so lovable, "you'll meet someone more amazing and guide you better."

"You are great too."

Cale paused and stared at those beautiful, deep blue eyes.

"Am I?" He asked, bitterly smiling, "but I am not someone worth becoming someone's world."

The black dragon titled its head charmingly.

"I am someone who no one will choose until the very end. If I were great, I would have already become someone's world, but I am not. I am not good enough for people to willingly choose me."