43. Battle Lines (Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"Never gonna let it go, huh?" Kash rolls his eyes. "Daniel will finally see my genius in all its glor-"

He accidentally bumps into the BRAD-X wheeling a cart, and sighs. "Take these supplies inside then go back for the others." he orders.

Mae and Kash slip into the warehouse.

"We gotta get in there!" I hiss.

"We can't just storm the place." Y/N objects. "Not with Kash around."

The door opens again and a BRAD-X steps out.

"And that BRAD-X." Sammy adds in a whisper.

"We should sneak in before it comes back." Caleb says.

"Or we'll sneak in when it comes back." Darius says.

[Kenji POV]

(device beeping)

Dad smiles proudly as he changes the sky over and over, from cloudy, to stormy, to night. "Amazing, isn't it?"

"Yeah, totally." I say in an emotionless voice.

Dad sighs, and turns to me. "What's on your mind son?"

"My friends said they saw Kash working with Mae on controlling dinosaurs. Is it true?" I ask him in a quiet tone.

His eyes flit down, ashamed. "Yes, Kenji, it is. You met the investors. We need to show them something game-changing. Otherwise, we're out of business and this whole island gets shut down. And with no one to feed or care for the dinosaurs, well, they won't last very long now would they?"

Recognition flashes in my eyes as I realize the truth. "I... guess not."

"When I explained that reality to Mae, she agreed to let Kash tame her to the communication research to the next level. But I don't just want Mae on board, I want you on board too. Especially since you and I will be the ones building the future of Mantah Corp together."

"You want me to work with you?!" I excitedly exclaim, standing up.

"Of course I do." Dad smiles. "I just want you to trust me. It'd be nice if your friends did too."

"Don't worry." I quickly say. "They'll come around."

"That's not the impression I got when your girlfriend, your cousin, and that Gutierrez girl broke into my office the other day."

"What?!"

"They didn't tell you?" He frowns. "Guess they don't trust either one of us very much."

That hit a nerve, and I feel my mind saying, Maybe he's right.

"I know they're your friends, but I don't know how to convince them I'm not a bad guy." Dad says, looking away

"You're my dad, you shouldn't have to convince them of anything." I cross my arms stiffly.

And I don't notice the smile of malice and triumph on my dad's face.

[Y/N POV]

"It is incredibly stuffy in here." I whisper, my face muffled against the box's wall awkwardly.