35. Technical Difficulties

Hacking the BRAD

[Ben POV]

"Come on." Brooklyn says as she peeps out of the tree.

We do the same, and follow her into the compund, stopping to hide every few seconds.

"We still don't know what Kash's next move is, or why he wants to control those dinos."

"Uh, I know why." Kenji says. "The dude's a total psycho. He killed my cousin for goodness sake! And the longer Darius is with him, the more danger he's in."

[Darius POV]

(faint keyboard clacking)

I wander the hallways with Y/N by my side. Kash is in one of the rooms, and he is working on something on his computer.

Y/N presses her ear against the door, and I follow her lead.

"...Yeah. The investors are coming?
Nice! Listen, boss, Kashmeister is gonna blow their minds. I'm talking full-scale demonstration. They'll beg us to take their money.
Six days?"

I gasp, and we exchange worried looks

"That's not a lot of time to get the biomes and dinos prepared.
Yeah, no, I got this. The future of the company could not be in better hands"

(phone beeps)

Kash seems to angrily bang the phone against the door, and Y/N and I stagger back in surprise.

We run down the hall in silent agreement, dodging the robots on our way to the elevator.

I frantically push the buttons and it opens agonizingly slowly.

[Ben POV]

"He's late." I mutter anxiously, while pacing around the soil.

"What if something happened to him?" Sammy asks

"Nothing happened to him." Yaz says.

"Uh, what if something did?" Caleb nervously mumbles.

[Darius POV]

As the door opens, Y/N immediately scurries up a tree (as if it's nothing, whatever, she climbs trees every day, no big deal).

I run towards the tree, and Brooklyn's hopeful face lights up.

Suddenly, there is a small explosion behind me, and a black, 6 feet tall robot with glowing white eyes. towers above me.

Kash walks out. "I see you've found your new babysitter. I call it, BRAD-X. After you disappeared, it seemed like a good time to take this baby for a spin. BT-dubs, what are you doing out here?"

"Honestly?" I say. "I've been cooped up all day, and I'm bored. Can't I go for a walk?"

"Sure you can." Kash smirks. "And from now on, BRAD-X will be right there with you. And in case you get any ideas..."

Kash uses the hockey stick he had brought out to repeatedly bang the BRAD-X harshly. The bot is unscathed and the stick is bent all over.

"This new model's virtually indestructible." Kash grins triumphantly, and enters the compound once again.

The BRAD-X clanks while following Kash. I sigh and go with them, but not before I turn back to the other campers and hold up six fingers, to say six days left.

I hope they understand it.

[Y/N POV]

Six days...

Right. That's smart.