Chapter 26: Passion

A warm afternoon breeze ruffled the ornate clothes of three individuals, who were standing before a wide open space. Wildflowers dotted the field, enjoying the sunny weather. The most powerful of the trio stepped forwards, leaving her colleagues behind. "Make sure to stay back, both of you, you wouldn't want to be caught up in this".

Hit grumbled at yet another warning being thrown at him. He had not seen anyone else use magic, but was sure the elf was being a bit excessive.

Riveria stopped abruptly and placed the end of her silvery white staff onto the ground. Magna Alfs' nine magic stones twinkled in the sun's rays, nestled between mithril and holydite branches.

*Thrum*

A frosty white magic circle sprung to life beneath Riveria, chilling the hearts of her two spectators. It was circular in shape, enclosing a number of smaller circles and Nordic runes. Melodious verses echoed through the air, as the royal elf began to chant.

"~Harbinger of the end, the white snow. Blow with the wind before the twilight...

Sparkling flecks of ice began to materialise all about the field, somehow unaffected by the heat. A chill breeze blew them around the epicentre, in a vortex.

"...Closing light, the freezing land. Blizzard, the three severe winters..."

The temperature dropped, causing Lefiya's teeth to chatter. Birds fled from trees and the floating crystals grew in number. It was a fitting effect for a spell whose name describes the three harsh winters preluding Ragnarök, which would go on to kill all life on Earth. Elegantly, the master mage raised her staff towards the heavens.

"...My name is Alf!~..."

Riveria concluded the chant by extending Magna Alf forwards, the object acting like a death sentence to any being that dared to oppose her.

"«Wynn Fimbulvetr»!"

Immense streams of silvery white ice ruptured outwards from the staff's tip and covered the field. All plant life touched by the conjured ice was killed instantly, frozen in place forever. Lefiya had to shield her eyes due to the sparkling glow and gale-force winds, whilst Hit could not bear to tear his gaze from the attack's magnificence. Nearby guards toppled over due to the shockwaves.

Once the extreme cold magic subsided, a frozen hellscape was left in its wake. Glittery snowflakes danced in the air, celebrating the change in environment. Hit stood for a moment, deeply moved by the beauty of the chant, and radiance of the elemental blast. 'This was only the first level? She also likely reduced the mind usage to prevent collateral damage. Impressive, for a being of this world.'

Frozen grass crunched as Hit walked up to the ice queen. "I take back some of what I said. Your magic is profound, and your singing is... beautiful."

Riveria faltered, surprised at the young boy's brazenness. "Hm... Only some of what you said? And I repeat, it is not singing, Mr Hit."

Hit smirked and made his way off, leaving behind an awed Lefiya and slightly stirred Riveria. "Hmph. I'm off. Do not forget to deliver your magic circle, as promised".

* * *

After a bit of searching, and a jagamarukun snack, where Hit opted to simply point at the food, rather than attempt to say the tongue twister name, Hit found his target.

The Hephaestus Familia North West Shop wasn't too grand, instead an unassuming black and white building with a blue slate roof. Although, the fiery pillars of smoke, that had darkened the plaster, and extended into the sky above, revealed its importance. This would be Hit's second armour shop in this world.