Chapter 13: Hunt

In a flash, Hit shot to his feet. Arms zipped into a bewildering set of formations, and he settled into his serious stance. Bones and muscles creaked as Hit put everything he had into rocketing at a severely shocked Ryuu.

Onlookers became owllike as their eyes widened to their maximum.

"Nya!?

"W-what!?"

Hit punched out with everything he had. Annoyingly, Ryuu still dodged perfectly.

*Shing*

The girl stood in place. Hit's eyes darted. 'Left hook.'

Hit bobbed under the soaring fist and sent a haymaker towards her heart.

*Shing*

'Front kick' He cancelled the attack and sidestepped before returning fire with a barrage of flash fist crushes. Unfortunately, none met their mark; however, the elf had not hit him again either.

Hit dodged and sent out counters emotionlessly, it was like nothing the elf had ever dealt with. His blank expression almost looked... just like hers.

*Bam*

Hit's fist met Ryuu's forearm block as the girl managed to dissipate its energy.

Ryuu's eyes narrowed "You're strong. Far too strong."

"Hmph." Hit disengaged and sent out a roundhouse kick.

Ryuu dodged under it and kicked him herself, much more quickly this time.

"Ghk!?"

*Crash*

A flummoxed Hit was propelled into a nearby shallow wall. Red Bricks crashed down and Hit's body became buried amongst them.

"Oops." Ryuu sweated a little; she hadn't killed him, had she?

Hit patted himself down, looking none the worse for wear, and got back up. "...and this is my current body's limit. As fun as this has been, you're obviously far beyond me in terms of raw power. Your skill is ...adequate I suppose."

Ryuu balked at him. Adequate...? A level 0, unblessed human was criticizing the technique of an experienced level 4? Sure, she was fighting him hand-to-hand, and was therefore severely limited; however, she was still extremely formidable.

Ryuu hastily returned to her emotionless demeanour. Reluctantly, she had to admit that it was true... Hit had moved perfectly. Absolutely nothing was wasted, not energy, not momentum. He somehow had the air of someone who had fought infinite battles. Disregarding her superior strength and speed, his martial arts form was leagues ahead of hers. How?

Her skin crawled. Red eyes never left hers during the fight, and his body somehow reacted to her attacks no matter which blind spot she tried. His eyes also had a habit of shifting oddly. "Apologies, I should not have allowed myself to use that much strength. However, I have some questions for you."

Hit's faint air of happiness dimmed at that. Ryuu took a few steps towards him. "How is your technique so refined at your age? How are you so unusually agile and powerful without a blessing? I simply cannot believe you are unblessed. And finally..." Her expression darkened and became murderous. "...why do your attacks radiate such deadly intent?"

Hit was unfazed. "I explained before, didn't I? Any less exertion would have been an insult to you. The moment you drew first blood, I knew you were far above me." He crossed his arms and looked down at the girl. "As for my strength, why should I explain myself to someone hiding their own obviously nefarious origins?" Hit tucked his hands away and made his way inside. "You can choose to believe whatever you like regarding my status..."