Chapter 2: A divided nation

After the disastrous attempt of trying to prevent conflict, the senate is now only 1/4 of what it was before then. What once was a number of 1 million senators is now reduced to 10,000. As the Republic begins to feel broken, Dark Federation and Secessionist loyalists begin to capture former Republican military infrastructure and use it to their own advantage. President Hayden and what remains of the senate have now begun to realize there may not be a chance of peace anymore.

 President Hayden and what remains of the senate have now begun to realize there may not be a chance of peace anymore

News Anchor: Protests inside the capital have left the senate in ruins after 10,000 pro-secessionists had left the Republic! It's only a matter of time before this leads into a future conflict. In other news, border conflicts have been increasing since the recent update on the Secessionist movement and now state governments are ordering defense forces to seize control of Republic weapons!

Senator: This is very bad.

Senator 2: Tell me about it, this border conflict can't be contained now!

Advisor: Mr.President, what do we do now?

President Hayden: I suppose that there can be no peace between our factions nor a chance to reunite with them. General?

General Bart: Yes sir?

President Hayden: Order all garrisons and divisions within the Southern and Eastern provinces to withdraw! If I know these secessionists, there is not a chance they won't attack or try to seize what we have.

General Bart: Yes sir!

Senator: Your excellency, I beg you to reconsider this decision! There are many of those who have a Pro-Republican stance and if we pull the troops out now, we can't assume that the Secessionists won't try to not kill them!

President Hayden: That is why I'm also ordering an evacuation order to those who have Pro-Republican sentiments for relocation and refuge.

Senator 8: What Will the public think?

President Hayden: I can only imagine.

Security: Sir, the media is here!

President Hayden: Send them in.

With the Secessionists leaving the senate thus also allowing more states to join the newly established Dark Federation, Lord Dark ordered all state governments in the area to emit total control of the regions. State Governors and governments issued emergency warning and regulations and ordered for martial law enforcement. At the same time, local news stations depicted Pro-Secessionist broadcasts and showed the support for their decision towards secession.

With more and more states leaving, Republican infrastructure and those who had sided or worked for the Republican government was now being threatened by any means of force. Many people were being taken to prison camps or being attacked in the streets while state defense forces and militias under Dark Federation influence were capturing and seizing weapons and military equipment.

In order to cease the fighting, President Hayden announced a televised speech which prompted for all Republican troops and sympathizers to leave immediately and head to the Republic territories. This was very effective and many people were spared from the killings but not the coming war.

News Anchor: And now we go to the Capital where President Hayden makes a televised announcement in regards to the separatist movements!

President Hayden: My fellow republicans and citizens, for almost a century, we had lived under the leadership of democracy and worshipped freedom and liberty. We prospered from unity and we had a golden opportunity for change. But as your president and head of state, I stand before you as a sympathetic person and to those who have been loyal to the Republic, I thank you for your efforts! But in these cases, it is no longer safe in the Eastern and Southern states! I have issued a state of emergency which allows all Republican sympathetic people to leave these separatist territories and flee to the Republic for safe refuge from danger. You will also be protected by Republican troops who have also been ordered to protect and evacuate in order to prevent any more casualties from the fighting! I know it will be a challenge but together we can do it. I urge you for the safety of your friends and family, please get out of there!

The message broadcast was sent to all of Haydonia especially the Dark Federation territories who allowed many people to leave or either blocked all road travel. Most people did not manage to flee the chaos and those that did suffered immensely.

This was just the beginning of the coming conflict.

Within a few weeks or so, 10,000 Pro-Republican or military corps managed to leave the Southern and Eastern provinces but with only a small remaining that became prisoners or slaves. President Hayden was true to his word and many of them found mercy and sympathy from the Republican Government.

But even as that was going on, the Dark Federation was growing more and more powerful by the minute. With a new Capital city and well established government, it was able to secure the most important things they needed. The combined militias and militant groups eventually formed into a battle hardened army corps with troops from all over the Dark Federation territories. Advanced weapons were being built by the minute and millions were signing up for the new army. New laws and regulations eventually restricted freedom to the public and so many had to follow every word they said.

Under the guidance of both Lord Dark and the new legislative council, many of the Republican laws were abolished and were replaced by laws that were once forbidden such as the legalization of slavery and drug trafficking. Some factions including corporations and criminal enterprises eventually became profitable for the Dark Federation and so were further nationalized as means to boost their economy.

Those who were sympathetic to the Dark Federation or had jobs there were often sent from the Republican government as means of banishment. Often entire families were sent along with which boosted criticism of how the Republican government dealt with the threat.

As if this wasn't bad enough, there was increasing amounts of tension along with borders between Pro-Republican or Pro-Secessionist states. Even neutral states had to pick a side and this was turning into a border crisis.

Small border towns or state capitals were left in ruin because of how dangerous the threat was and often clashes and violence were common. In order to combat the situation, President Hayden and Lord Dark made a final decision: one that would change history for a long time.

Building and establishing separate borders between the Republic and the Dark Federation territories and building high grade zones including a neutral zone which would further divide the two countries.

It was a bit skeptical amongst the Republicans and many people feared that further division could lead into war but what choice did they have? As long as the Dark Federation was increasing their influence, the state of the Republic and everything they fought for would be threatened greatly. So they had to agree with the decision.

The following month, both Republican and Secessionist/ Dark Federation senators met each other for one last time which prompted the establishment of the border.

A televised event which took place at the Royal Palace at the Kingdom of Jinga. Everyone knew what was coming and so many people were not looking forward to it but they had no other choice, decision, or otherwise.

So on that day, President Hayden and Lord Dark signed the Haydonian Territory Agreement which called for the recognization for the Dark Federation to be a new independent country but would not permit any contact with any Republican or Pro-Republican territories and close its border off. It was also permitted to have a small number of Border Guards and soldiers and that both sides would be regulated and watched to see if one side did not break the agreement.

A neutral zone would also be declared in order to prevent any future conflicts and that the neutral zone would be made up of states who had no intention of siding with either side. But little did anyone know was that it was where most of the trouble was about to cause the most deadliest conflict in Haydonian history.