16 - Bloodline

"One situation - maybe one alone - could drive me to murder: family life, togetherness."
― Patricia Highsmith

₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧

"This is Geoff and Nancy Hale. both their throats were cut." Jordan told the team showing photos of the murdered couple.

"Any evidence of abuse?" Derek asked her.

"Nothing." She answered.

"Slitting someone's throat is quick and efficient," Spencer commented coming to sit by the others.

Emily glanced back at him briefly before returning her attention to the others around her "That's because the real target was down the hall."

Jordan stared at her "She has a name."

"What?"

"She's not "the target." her name's Cate." Jordan told her coldly "She's 10 years old."

"All right." Emily relented.

"Amber alert in effect?" Rossi questioned.

"Since 7 a.m. this morning."

"With the unsub's head start he could be anywhere within a 400-mile radius." Hotch spoke, "Make sure that they're casting a wide enough net."

"Got it."

"Who discovered the bodies?" Derek asked.

"Jim Scheuren, Cate's biological father." Jordan informed him "He was supposed to take her for the weekend. The police don't consider him a suspect."

"We'll want to talk to him anyway," Hotch stated.

"We're also going to need a list of registered sex offenders in a 20-mile radius," Emily added.

"What's the makeup of the Hales' neighborhood?" Spencer inquired.

"Mostly white and middle class."

"We'll need aerial views of the neighborhood." Derek said, "If Madison County doesn't have them, talk to Garcia."

"Dave, you and Morgan go to the crime scene." Hotch instructed, "The rest of us will get up to speed at the precinct."

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

"What are you looking for?" Jordan asked as Soren and Emily looked over the crime scene photos.

Soren glanced up at her "neck wounds." He answered.

"Something's off," Emily said looking intently at both the autopsy report and the photos.

"Geoff Hale--cause of death was a single deep, smooth cut that severed the carotid artery." Jordan read.

"And Nancy?" Emily asked.

"Nancy Hale--death was caused by a series of jagged, shallow wounds that punctured the carotid artery." Jordan read aloud before looking up at the two agents with a look of realization.

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

Cate was found on the road after the unsub had let her go.

"She's been in and out of consciousness, but her vitals are stable." The nurse informed the team.

"Any sign of sexual assault?"

The thought made Soren shiver. No matter how many cases he worked child victims got to him more than any other case.

"We haven't tested yet." The nurse said, "We want to give her time to process."

"May we speak with her?" Emily asked.

"You should know, that seizures often come with retrograde amnesia." The nurse explained, "She might have holes in her memory."

"Prentiss, Volk, you two should do this," Hotch said.

Soren looked at him confused "You sure that's the best idea?" He asked only earning a stern look from Hotch in response.

"Ok."

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

"Mr. scheuren, hello." Emily greeted stepping into the hospital room while Soren stopped at the doorway "I'm Agent Emily Prentiss from the FBI. I would like permission to speak with your daughter."

"Ok." the man nodded.

"I'm sorry, I'd like to do it alone if possible," Emily told him.

"Why?" He asked.

"I need to ask her certain questions, and sometimes it's easier for a girl to answer those questions when there are no men present."

"I'm her father." The man defended.

"Daddy. Please?"

"All right, baby." He agreed allowing Soren to lead him out of the room.