12 - Minimal Loss

"Here's an easy way to figure out if you're in a cult: If you're wondering whether you're in a cult, the answer is yes."
― Stephen Colbert

₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧

"Tell us about the 9-1-1 call." Spencer requested leaning forward to speak to Emily and Nancy who were in the front seats.

"I believe the he that they referred to is the church's leader, benjamin Cyrus." Nancy briefly glanced back at him.

"Benjamin Cyrus-- no criminal record." He noted "No record at all, really. What else do you know about him?" He asked.

"It's rumored that he's practicing polygamy and forced marriages," Nancy told them.

"Any idea who the caller is?" Emily asked.

"Uh, Jessica evanson is the one who the age fits, but... We can't be sure." She said So I negotiated interviews with all the children. It wasn't easy."

"Well, considering their view on outsiders, It would be best if you didn't identify us as f.b.i." Emily informed, "Just use our real names, And introduce us as child victim interview experts." She instructed her.

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

"I'm looking for Mr. Benjamin Cyrus." Nancy said as they exited the vehicle/

"You found him," he said.

"I'm nancy lunde." She explained, "We spoke on the phone regarding the allegation."

"Savages, they call us." Cyrus remarked standing up and approaching them "'Cause our manners differ from theirs."

"We didn't come here to hear you cite scripture, Mr. Cyrus." Nancy informed him.

Spencer leaned over to her "Actually, it's Benjamin Franklin." he informed.

"Emily Prentiss, spencer reid, Soren Volk" Nancy introduced them "They're child victim interview experts."

"How far from god's word must we have strayed for there to be the need to invent a job called child victim interview expert?" Cyrus questioned.

"A long distance my friend," Soren told him.

"We wish we didn't have to be here," Emily informed.

"So do we." Cyrus nodded "But you are welcome, nonetheless. The children are in the school as I indicated." He pointed off into the distance.

"Thank you." Emily nodded before walking off with Nancy, Soren trailed not far behind them.

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

"We go to school. We do our chores." Jessica told them sitting at a desk with her mother beside her "And we treat ourselves and each other with the respect god demands."

"But you've never been off of the ranch?" Emily questioned.

"I brought Jessie here when she was 2," Kathy told them

"You've talked to lots of children in your work." Jessica spoke, "Tell me their lives somehow better than ours?"

Emily went to say something but the girl's mother spoke next "We devote ourselves to god. That doesn't mean we're not devoted to our children." Kathy shook her head.

"We are not here because of your religious beliefs," Emil told her.

"Why are you here?" Jessica inquired.

"We received a phone call alleging that an adult male member of your church was having inappropriate relations with the younger women here." She explained.

"You're talking about cyrus," Jessica said. Soren found this odd that the girl's minds immediately went to Cyrus instead of denying it.

"What makes you say that?" Emily asked.

"Jessie, come on." Kathy tried to silence her.

"Is it inappropriate for a husband to share a bed with his wife?" Jessica asked.

"You are married to Cyrus?" Soren inquired.

The girl looked up at him "Yes. Cyrus is my husband and a prophet." She said before looking back to Emily "It's an honor to bear his children."

Emily and Spencer looked at each other "Jessica, you're 15 years old." Spencer told her "The state of Colorado requires parental consent."

"She gave consent," Emily said after taking notice of Kathy's look she gave.

Suddenly Cyrus and a few unknown men stormed in with rifles in hand.

"Get up! Get up!"

"You heard him!"

"Stand!"

"What's going on?" Nancy asked.