Chapter~36

P.s. How's the new cover?

Like
.
.
.
.
.
Comment
.
.
.
.
.
Share/Follow
.
.
.
~ Constructive feedback is appreciated~
.
.
.
♦ Please don't be a silent reader,and at least leave a like to motivate me♦
.
.
.

Vanessa's POV:

"Vanessa, wake up! Please, you have to wake up!" The voice was tinged with desperation, each word carrying the weight of fear and urgency. I felt hands gripping my shoulders, shaking me gently but with increasing urgency, as if willing me to break free from the grasp of unconsciousness and return to the realm of the living.

My eyes widened in horror as I snapped out of the trance, realizing my hands were wrapped around Matthew's neck, my nails digging into his skin, leaving bloody marks in their wake. With a sharp intake of breath, I withdrew my hands, taking in the state of my brother. Scratch marks marred his face, arms, and neck, evidence of my momentary lapse into violence. Bloody hell, I had lost control once again.

"I'm sorry," I whispered pathetically, unable to meet his gaze as the weight of shame settled upon me like a suffocating blanket.

"It's okay, Vanessa. I've got you," Matthew's voice was gentle, a reassuring presence amidst the chaos of my emotions. With hesitant tenderness, he placed his hand on my back, his touch offering a sense of comfort that I desperately needed in that moment. His fingers moved in a soothing rhythm, tracing circles along my spine as we both lingered in the silence, finding a fleeting sense of peace before the storm of emotions threatened to engulf us once more.

"Nicolo witnessed your seizure. I think he saw your scars as well," Matthew's words landed like a heavy weight on my chest, squeezing the air from my lungs. The options before me felt suffocating, each one bearing its own weight of consequences. I could tell him the truth, but the thought of exposing my vulnerabilities was terrifying. Getting rid of him was out of the question—I couldn't bear the idea of hurting him selfishly. That left me with the third option: letting his doubt linger, but risking the threat of him telling others.

The weight of the decision settled heavily upon me, but deep down, I knew what I had to do. There was only one right choice for me, that was to tell him. Perhaps this way, I would finally get the answers I sought, and discover whether his intentions were genuine or merely a facade.

"I... I don't know, Matt," I stammered, my voice trembling with uncertainty. "What if he sees the darkness lurking beneath me? I've tried to deny it, but Nicolo somehow carved out a soft spot in my heart. I've pushed him away countless times, hurting him in the process, but he's not... what I imagined. He's... tolerable."

Matthew's expression softened, a hint of understanding in his eyes. "Van, Nicolo isn't like anyone else. I think he deserves to know. And who knows, maybe sharing this with him will bring you two closer."

"He hasn't done anything to make me doubt otherwise," I admitted, the weight of my uncertainty heavy in my voice. "But what if this changes everything? What if he can't handle it?"Matthew placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Van, sometimes we have to take risks, especially when it comes to the people we care about. Nicolo seems genuine. Give him a chance to prove it."

His words resonated with me. Could I trust Nicolo with my darkest secrets, with the scars that marred my soul? The answer remained elusive, but Matthew's unwavering support nudged me towards the edge of uncertainty. Perhaps Nicolo was different, perhaps he could accept the scars of my past without judgment. But the fear lingered, the fear of exposing the darkest parts of myself to someone I was beginning to care for. What if he couldn't handle it? What if it changed everything between us?