Chapter 8: I Accept

Start from the beginning

Strangely, I don't remember putting my ID card in my pocket. I was assured that I had placed it in my bag this morning, but at the very least, I didn't have to worry about the embarrassment of dealing with an officer angry at me for forgetting my Student ID. 

I handed the officer my card when he started to inspect the content on his tablet and typed something on it before locking eyes with me before continuing to speak. 

"Hirata Yosuke. Class 1-D. Student ID Number: S01T004698. Does that sound right to you?"

"I'm not sure about the ID number, but the rest sound accurate."

"Very well then, here is the first question. What is your relationship with Sakura Airi?"

My eyes suddenly widened as soon as the officer mentioned her name. It was all but certain that whatever happened within the special building had to have involved her in some capacity.

"She is my girlfriend officer."

As I responded to the officer without thinking of what I was going to say, I accidentally called Sakura-san, my girlfriend by mistake. Despite us being seen as a couple by our classmates, it wasn't anything official at all, so as much as I wanted to correct myself, I didn't. 

The officer didn't notice my slip and continued on with his questions.

"I see. According to the report I pulled up on you, you have submitted reports of dealing with verbal harassment through unknown phone numbers over the past week."

"You are correct."

"Now, may I ask you what you were doing within the last half an hour? Is that okay with you?"

His tone was more serious than earlier. It was irritating that I couldn't learn about Sakura-san's whereabouts at that moment, and I was dealing with something that felt like an interrogation. I clenched the hat in my hands to release some of my inner frustration to calm myself. 

"After classes ended today, I was with a friend talking about my concerns about m-my girlfriend. When I suddenly realized that there was a chance that she might be around this area, I ran my way here."

I told him the events of what occurred over in a calm matter, but I noticed him typing down on his tablet. I felt this urge to ask this officer a question of my own to see what was going on. 

"Excuse me if you may, but may I ask what these questions are all of a sudden? And is my girlfriend okay?"

"Before I answer your question, I have one last one for you. After that, I'll inform you about Sakura-san."

He showed me a letter directed to Sakura-san's idol persona, Shizuku. It reminded me of that user who kept posting weird messages on her account pages. However, there were a bunch of lines and dots at the very end of the page. I wasn't sure what it could be. Maybe it was a secret message. 

But if it was, could it have been a threat?

"Do you recognize this letter?"

The offer glared at me, snapping me out of my thoughts once more. However, after looking at this letter for a while, I don't think Sakura-san has shown me anything like this before unless I forget it. 

"No, I do not. I haven't seen this once, sir."

"I see. Thank you for your cooperation, kid. Now, this might be hard on you, but someone nearly assaulted your girlfriend, and right now, they are being cared for at the infirmary."

I could sense some sincerity within his voice, but I froze.  

I couldn't describe what I was feeling right now, but I dropped the hat I was holding onto the ground. It didn't feel good in the slightest.