Part 20: Provenance

Y/n and Sam were sitting at a bar table. Sam was looking through John's journal and a newspaper while y/n was drawing in her sketchbook. Meanwhile Dean was leaning on the bar talking to an attractive woman as usual. Sam picks up the paper and gestures to Dean to come over. Y/n sees this and puts her pen down and closes her book. Dean points his finger up, gesturing to give him a second as he laughs at something the girl said.

Sam gestured again for him to come over to the table and Dean's smile dropped. He excuses himself and walks over to them holding three beers.

"All right, so, I think I got something," Sam said to Dean.

"Oh, yeah, me too," Dean said, glancing back to the bar. "I think we need to take a little shore leave, just a little bit. What do you think, huh? I'm so in the door with this one."

"So, what are we today, Dean? I mean, are we rock stars? Are we army rangers," Sam asked.

"We're L.A TV Scouts looking for people with special skills," Dean said with a grin. He chuckled as he sat down. "But, hey, it's not that far off, right?"

"Whatever helps you fill your lies," y/n grumbled.

One of the waiters approaches the table and places a Martin in front of y/n.

"From the gentleman over there."

The waiter points to a man sitting at the end of the bar. He had dark hair, nicely trimmed bread and seemed to be a couple of years older. He was well dressed and was pretty attractive. He was drinking some expensive Scotch on the rocks. He sees y/n staring at him and gives her a wink. She gives him a flattered smile as she looks away.

The boys also noticed him and had reactions. Dean was impressed and a bit proud of y/n. Meanwhile Sam seemed to be a bit upset by this.

"Look at you y/n, you cutie. You know when a guy buys you a drink, it's because you're one of the hot girls in the whole bar," Dean teased.

"Good for me, I guess," y/n said, not really caring as she grabs the Martini.

"So? You gonna give something for it," Dean asked with a smirk.

"Yeah, no I'm okay," y/n said.

"Come on. Why not," Dean asked.

"I appreciate your concern Dean but I can get my own dates, thank you," y/n said.

"Yeah right," Dean scoffed.

"What are you trying to say right now," y/n asked.

"Nothing. What you got Sammy," Dean asked, looking at the scattered papers.

Sam sighed as he turned his attention to the papers.

"Mark and Anne Telesca of New Palts, New York were both found dead in their own home, a few days ago," Sam informed. "Throats were slit, there were no prints, no murder weapons, all--"

Y/n noticed Dean glancing back to the bar with the hot chicks and the man who sent her the drink.

"Dean," y/n said.

Dean looks back at y/n and Sam.

"No prints, no murder weapons, all doors and windows locked from the inside," Sam added.

"Could just be a garden-variety murder you know, not our department," Dean said as he took a sip of his beer.

"No, Dad says different," Sam said.

"What do you mean," Dean asked.

Sam turns the journal around and points at it along with a map.

"Dad noted three murders in the same area of upstate New York. First on here in 1912. Second one right here in 1945. And the third in 1970. The same M.O as the Telescas--The throats were slit, the houses were locked from the inside. Now so much time passed between the murders that nobody checked the pattern except for Dad. He always kept his eyes peeled for another one," Sam explained.