Chapter 3- The City of Aerion

Dedicated to @funqueen14 who is also one of the best readers anyone could have. She also writes so please do check out her works. :)

CHAPTER 3- THE CITY OF AERION

The Great Banquet Hall
Shrae Castle
The Kingdom of Maegi, Aether

-Princess Sage-

The celebration was in full blast and the great hall was filled with colors and all sorts of entertainment. Tonight, we celebrated me being the champion of the Magic Tournament. Tonight is also the night that the kingdom will answer High King Grier’s call to arms and send our best warlocks and sorcerers to fight under the High King’s name.

King Grier’s call to his allies came a week ago. He sent a message asking for the help of soldiers in quelling further attempts of rebellion. It was said that King Ferion of the Winter Kingdom has amassed an army large enough to be a threat to King Grier.

My father was one of High King Grier’s closest friends. It was with no doubt that my father would send his best men and answer the call to arms. Tonight is their send off party. It just happened that it became a double celebration because I won.

Loud music and laughter filled the hall. I looked to my right and saw the musicians. They were smiling as they played a merry tune. In the middle of the hall, warlocks danced with their wives. The mood in the air is joy but there is also an underlying hint of sadness because with war, there is no certainty that those who left shall return.

I sighed and turned my gaze away from the couples. I looked forward and tried to take interest in the games unfolding before the throne. Warlocks and Sorcerers battled with each other to see who could produce the greatest trick. My mom and dad were the judges to this and right now, their eyes were filled with awe and they were laughing so hard.

I smiled at them and my father reached over and squeezed my hand. I squeezed it back and then rose from my throne with a bow to my father and mother.

I looked around and saw Maester sitting at a table nearby. I went and plopped down beside him. I have wanted to talk to him for a long time now. What I want to tell him is also one of the reasons which spurred me to win the Tournament.

I sat down beside him on one of the long tables. He gulped down his drink and then turned those wise eyes towards me. “Have I congratulated my best student already?” he asked. I blushed. “Thank you, Maester. You already did.”

“Ahh. Good then. So what brings you here, princess?”

“I just came here to tell you that I’ve finished packing my things for Aerion.”

Both his eyebrows rose up.

“I don’t think I heard you quite right.” He said and then tilted his head to the side and acted as if he was cleaning his ear.

“Maester. Stop it with the nonsense. I have proven my worth already. I am going with you to Aerion. I will act as my father’s delegate. He won’t be able to come because of the threat to Maegi but he is sending his best sorcerers and warlocks. I am the princess and I have proven my magic today and became the champion. I have a right to be one of the delegates that will be leaving for Aerion tonight.” I declared in the haughtiest tone I could.