Remain

Wei Wuxian woke up to soft voices. He recognized them both, but he couldn't make out what they were saying. "Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian called as he sat up in his bed and rubbed his eyes. 

The voices went quiet. He heard some footsteps approach him, and he glanced up to see Lan Wangji walk towards him. "Wei Ying," he replied.

Wei Wuxian only smiled lightly before standing up. "Is someone here?" he asked.

Lan Wangji nodded. "Xiongzhang."

Wei Wuxian hummed in understanding. "I'll get dressed, then come out," he told the Lan.

Lan Wangji nodded again and left the space, heading back to the main area where his brother was having a cup of tea.

Wei Wuxian quickly got ready and tied his hair back in his classic ribbon. He rushed to meet with the other two. If Lan Xichen was visiting so early in the morning, there must be a reason why. Especially considering that all the disciples will be going home as the day goes on. Some families have probably already picked up their disciples.

"Zewu-jun," Wei Wuxian bowed in greeting as he entered the main room of the Jingshi. 

"Good morning, Wei-gongzi. How did you sleep?" Lan Xichen replied, but his posture was tense. This is the first time the two have spoken since the last meeting with Nie Mingjue.

"I slept well, thank you." Wei Wuxian took a seat at the table beside Lan Wangji. Lan Wangji instantly poured a cup of tea for him, and Wei Wuxian was thankful for the distraction. 

"Wei-gongzi," Lan Xichen cleared his throat. "I want to discuss what happened in the meeting."

Wei Wuxian did not comment. He knew what he said was out of line, but he couldn't let go of that burning feeling in his stomach at the mere thought of Wen Qing and Wen Ning risking their lives, not again.

"I apologize for not taking into consideration the vulnerable position this will leave the Wen siblings," he started. 

Wei Wuxian nodded. "I know why it is important," he replied. "There are multiple benefits if Wen Qing and Wen Ning went through with this. It would provide us intel. It would allow us to convince others not to kill them once the war is over, but none of this guarantees their safety."

"I understand."

"No, you don't. I made a promise that I wouldn't allow any of them to die again. I won't fail them again, and I will not let them suffer!"

No one spoke. Lan Xichen did understand where Wei Wuxian was coming from. Whether or not he fully agreed, he promptly kept to himself. "I have spoken with both of them," Lan Xichen began. "I told them they could back out, that this burden need not be on their shoulders. Both of them declined."

Wei Wuxian's eyes widened. "No. I won't allow it." He stood up, the other two following him quickly.

"Wei-gongzi, they made their decision. I don't think you will change their mind."

Wei Wuxian's jaw clenched. "You have no idea what Wen Rouhan is capable of."

"I do have an idea, but they both agreed-"

"So you don't fight back!?" he shouted, fists clenched.

"Wei Ying," Lan Wangji urged. "I have spoken with them. They will not be persuaded."

Wei Wuxian could only tense up, his face flaring. "And you're okay with this?" he asked Lan Wangji, turning his gaze on him.

Lan Wangji took in a deep breath, considering his words before continuing. "No. I am not, but it is their lives at risk. It is only right to allow them to do as they wish."