To Change an Encounter

Lan Qiren is officially back to teaching and the few days break the disciples had, came to an end. For their return, Lan Qiren has planned a small field trip around the Cloud Recesses to demonstrate the different historical aspects and memorials placed all around. They looked at artifacts from the past and large murals marking important events. His main goal was to highlight Lan history and discuss the founder of the Sect.

As they walked around, Wei Wuxian couldn't help laughing at how even in paintings, somehow the Lans have made themselves look so stiff.

Lan Wangji was a little distance ahead of the three Jiangs, but he instinctively would glance back at Wei Wuxian to check on him. Jiang Cheng was still rather temperamental with him, despite the time that's passed, and Lan Wangji could easily sense it off him. Lan Wangji couldn't understand the relationship between Wei Wuxian and Jiang Wanyin. They were raised as brothers and grew up side by side, yet Jiang Wanyin sometimes treated him poorly. This is the complete opposite to Lan Wangji's and Lan Xichen's relationship.

However, Wei Wuxian always took it in stride and never seemed hurt by it, but it still unsettled Lan Wangji. He knew there were many things about the Jiang disciple that he did not quite understand, however, he did know that Wei Wuxian has a habit of masking his true emotions with smiles and energetic comments. This made it even more difficult for Lan Wangji to understand if the relationship the two brothers held was truly hurting him or not. For the time being, he decided to monitor and continue watching the slight changes to Wei Wuxian's smiles for answers.

He knew Wei Wuxian wasn't always as cheerful as his smile and laughter likes to portray.

Jiang Yanli stood in between her two brothers. She knew the two were still experiencing a disagreement, but everything she has tried to comfort them has not had much effect. She thought for sure the two would have made up by now.

In all honesty, Jiang Cheng told her what happened at Biling Lake and although she is worried for Wei Wuxian, she also respected his privacy. Something she was hoping to teach Jiang Cheng, but would need much more time.

Jiang Yanli has always recognized the unrelenting reliance that Jiang Cheng has for Wei Wuxian. If there was ever a problem, Wei Wuxian was the first to fix it and comfort Jiang Cheng in the process. It has always been that way. However, Wei Wuxian was struggling with something internally this time that took more of his attention. Jiang Cheng doesn't know how to process this shift from Wei Wuxian handling everything to Wei Wuxian becoming hesitant in his every step. It infuriated Jiang Cheng, and Jiang Yanli knows this was not fair for Wei Wuxian. He had spent a good part of his life handling the emotions of Jiang Cheng, but Wei Wuxian needs to focus on himself right now. She knew that she would need to continue to work with her brother to recognize this and to not always depend on Wei Wuxian for everything. He is going to be the future sect leader, after all.

Lan Qiren stood with Lan Xichen quite far ahead from the Jiang family and disciples, and Lan Qiren continued with his endless lectures about the founder of the Gusu Lan Sect without so much as glancing to make sure the disciples in the back were keeping up. Lan Xichen kept pace with his uncle, but did try to keep Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian in his line of sight just in case.

"Jin-xiong, what do you hope your future wife is like?" a disciple from the Jin sect asked. Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng, and Jiang Yanli had all heard, but only two of them looked at the Jin group in front of them. Jiang Yanli looked away and tried to focus on something else.

Wei Wuxian knew where this conversation would lead. He would get mad and instead of allowing Jiang Cheng to get in trouble, he fights with Jin Zixuan in his place. This effectively sends him home back to Lotus Pier where he is then relentlessly stuck with Madam Yu's brutal punishments.