Hidden Deep

Wei Wuxian hadn't spoken a word since returning. Lan Wangji continued to stare at him as Wen Qing continued to wrap his shoulder wound in the infirmary. Lan Xichen spoke in a quiet voice with Lan Qiren in the corner of the room.

Lan Wangji didn't know what to say. His tongue felt twisted and caught in his throat. Perhaps there was nothing he could say to smooth the devastating look held in Wei Wuxian's silver eyes. He never was good at comfort. He wished he had his brother's skill at this moment. He wished he could comfort him the way that everyone else seems to do with ease.

He longed to reach out to Wei Wuxian, but he looked too consumed in his own thoughts. Lan Wangji worried he might frighten him. Wei Wuxian sat there like he was waiting for punishment, waiting for someone to give him what he deserved. 

Lan Wangji knew he had to be gentle and give him more time to process before reaching out to him, though it ached him.

Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren finally finished their conversation. Lan Qiren turned to the two disciples with narrowed eyes and pinched lips. "Are either of you ready to talk about what happened?" Lan Qiren asked as he approached them. Wen Qing pulled away from Lan Wangji, and she looked at the both of them analytically.

Wen Qing wanted to know what happened as much as the rest of them. She was not there for the night hunt to see what caused so many disciples to come back injured and Wei Wuxian in a horrifying dissociative state.

After her discussion with Wei Wuxian once he recovered from Qi Alteration, her concern for him only continued to grow. She was only scratching at the surface of what kinds of trauma Wei Wuxian had to endure, and her speculations could only get her so far.

Wei Wuxian bit his lip and turned away. He could feel his body tremble, but he clenched his fists until they turned white, hoping it would hide it.

"Wangji," his uncle gritted, voice dark.

"Attacked by Yaogui. Let my guard down," he spoke. It wasn't necessarily a lie. They were attacked by Yaogui and he truthfully did let his guard down. He just didn't explain why his guard was down.

Lan Qiren's frown deepened. "I am sure there is more to the story," his uncle started. "It's quite peculiar that the Yaoguis decided to turn on each other so quickly. Something tells me the two of you were right in the middle of it," he remarked.

"Solitary creatures," Lan Wangji replied quickly. His reply was also true, typically Yaogui are solitary in nature and tend to even fight with each other over territory or possession of food.

Lan Qiren couldn't help but shoot Wei Wuxian a cold look. 

If there's anything to explain why his nephew had changed his usual informative self, then it would only be Wei Wuxian.

Wei Wuxian curled in on himself, and his head bowed further down, trying to hide from the elder's stony gaze.

"Shufu, perhaps we should give them time to rest. They have been through quite the ordeal," Lan Xichen stepped in.

Lan Qiren's nose flared. He wanted to fight with his elder nephew on this topic. It wasn't something that should be forgotten so quickly, but Lan Xichen shot him a look that carried the dignity of a sect leader and Lan Qiren forced himself to cool his temper, reminding himself of his own principles. "Fine. We will talk more about this later. In the meantime, get proper rest. Classes are canceled for tomorrow." He quickly left the room and did not look back.

Lan Xichen gave the two a strained smile before turning to Wen Qing. "Thank you for taking care of my didi," he said.

Wen Qing bowed to him. "Of course, Zewu-jun. I am merely glad to help."