lviii. white flag

chapter fifty-eight

THE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE, in all its evil, was truly beautiful

Finnick and Octavia walk through the hallways, admiring the architecture.

"You know. . . the last time I was here I was begging Snow to let us go public," Finnick tells her. Octavia smiles.

"Seems like forever ago," she says, "Things are so different now."

She looks to the ground, still walking slowly until Finnick stops completely.

"Hey, look at me," he guides her chin up with his fingertips, making her meet his eyes. His thumb strokes her cheekbone as he says, "We're almost out. We're almost free. We will never owe anything to anyone ever again."

"What about Seeder? And Chaff? And Mags? And my family? And your family?" Octavia asks quietly, water creeping up to her eyes.

"They live on through us. . ."

Octavia sniffles, trying to look away from him out of embarrassment, but his hands keep her in place. His green eyes bleed into hers and that alone is almost enough to calm her down.

"We remember how we loved them, not how we lost them."

As he quotes Seeder's words, Octavia feels herself fall in love with him all over again.

"I love you," she whispers before pressing her lips to his. Finnick melts into her touch, letting his arms hold her steady as her hands find his face.

He pulls away after a moment, looking down at her with smiling eyes.

"I love you, too."

"Hey! Lovebirds! Care to join us or should we reschedule for the next rebellion?" Johanna's voice calls from down the hall. Octavia blushes slightly and Finnick gives Johanna an annoying smirk.

"Come on," Octavia says, pulling him along with her.

As they enter, Johanna, Beetee, Annie, Haymitch, Peeta, Enobaria, and Coin are all standing around a meeting table.

Coin had called the meeting, of course. Now, they were just waiting for Katniss.

Johanna made sure to lighten the mood with some poorly timed, crude jokes, here and there.

When the doors finally opened, Octavia was pleased to see Katniss.

"What's this?" The girl asks, looking across all of the Victors and Coin.