xlii. the claws of a beast

chapter forty-two

OCTAVIA AND CHAFF SAT ON THE GROUND WITH THEIR WEAPONS AT BAY

OCTAVIA AND CHAFF SAT ON THE GROUND WITH THEIR WEAPONS AT BAY. It had been quiet for her and Chaff since the bloodbath. The pair had found a comfortable overhang of rock to rest for the night.

After a while, the national anthem began to play through the arena as a blue hologram shone in the sky.

First, the district five male appeared in the sky. That meant that Finnick and Mags were both still alive. Octavia let out a sigh of relief as Chaff hid a smile.

The district six male follows. Cecelia and Woof both appear in the sky that night. Octavia bites the inside of her cheek, looking up at the man she wanted to help. Chaff peeks at her from the corner of his eye, placing a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to console her. She doesn't react.

Finally, the women from Nine and Ten are shown and the hologram disappears.

In another part of the jungle, Finnick lets out a loud exhale of relief, as Mags kisses his cheek excitedly. Octavia was alive.

He never doubted that she would be, she was the strongest person he knew, but not being with her stirred fear into his heart.

"It's us, Katniss and Peeta, Mags and Finnick, the careers, district five, nine, and ten's females, Johanna and Blight, and Wiress and Beetee," Chaff lists off, attempting to count on his fingers.

"We have the majority, I guess. Not that it helps if we're separated," Octavia replies. Chaff thinks for a moment.

"We'll make our way back to the beach tomorrow, we're stronger with them than apart," he says. Octavia furrows her brows, looking at him in confusion.

"What about the-"

"We were wrong. I was wrong," he sighs. Octavia swallows her spit at his words.

"Yeah, you were," she agreed, "I am not the same girl who clung to Augustus' arm her whole life, that girl died with him."

"Octavia, I'm sorry. I know that I'm not your father. Okay? I know that. But you're the closest thing I have to family. And I know you aren't fifteen anymore, but when you came out of the arena, I promised myself I'd always protect you. When Consus died, I swore to your mother that I'd protect you as my own until I die," he speaks, Octavia listens to every word, feeling her stomach swirl at her father's name.

"I shouldn't have gone behind your back, I just wanted to protect you because," his voice trails off. Chaff didn't have any blood family, and Octavia never asked why. Because of that, he hardly ever said the words he says to Octavia, now.