lvi. nightlock, nightlock, nightlock

chapter fifty-six

THE GROUP GATHERS AROUND THE TABLE, looking at the holographic map

"That's us," Cressida points to a spot, "that's the city circle," she points to another, "it's at least seventy-five blocks north."

"Seventy-five blocks?" Finnick asks to confirm. Cressida hums an "uh-huh".

"Nobody knows we're alive. This is our chance. These buildings," Katniss points, "do they look over Snow's gardens?"

"They do," someone replies.

"If he goes outside at all, I could get a clear shot."

"We are getting ahead of ourselves here, we're pinned down," Jackson says, "Hit that button, and scan for pods."

The holo beeps, and thousands of orange dots pop up across the map.

"Just about every ten steps," Seeder states.

"Yeah, and this doesn't even show the new ones," Gale seconds.

"So we can't go anywhere in the streets," Finnick adds, looking at Octavia, who nods in agreement.

"And the rooftops are just as bad," Jackson says. Pollux signs something to Castor, who speaks up after thinking for a moment.

"There might be another way."

───

Underground tunnels were not something Octavia was particularly fond of. Castor tells the group that Pollux is familiar with these tunnels and that before they made him an Avox, he worked in them.

Pollux begins to cry as the group enters the tunnel.

"Hey, are you gonna be okay? Look at me," Castro speaks to him, "We're gonna get through this, I promise."

Pollux nods and begins to lead the way.

As the group makes their way through the tunnel, a train passes through. Katniss holds the holo out, it beeps once.

"We're too exposed here," she says. Pollux motions for the group to follow him, making a run for a door across the train tracks.

One by one, the group makes their way down a ladder, bringing them into the sewers.

"Stay beside me," Finnick instructs to Octavia, "both of you," he looks to Seeder. The women both nod. Octavia takes his hand in hers for a moment, squeezing it tightly.