xxxiii. nothing left to give

chapter thirty-three

THE NEXT MORNING WAS EERILY QUIET

THE NEXT MORNING WAS EERILY QUIET. Peacekeepers began rounding up the people of Eleven and escorting them to the justice building. Octavia and Finnick walk with Rhea, who had taken a complete turn from yesterday. She was quiet. Her face was stoic, almost cold. She had barely said a word to either of them.

Octavia's gut was screaming out at her that something wasn't right, but she had no time to try to find a solution. As they approach the building, Octavia turns to her mother.

"We'll come to meet you after our lunch with the Mayor and the Victors. It shouldn't be too long," Octavia says, trying to catch her mother's eye, though the woman looks straight ahead.

Rhea nods, silent. Octavia furrows her eyebrows, beginning to grow frustrated.

"What is going on with you?" Octavia snaps, harshly shaking her mother's arm to get her to face her.

"I'm proud of you, Octavia."

Octavia blinks in confusion, lightly shaking her head. A peacekeeper gives a shove to Rhea's back, pushing her toward the crowd. Octavia and Finnick share a look.

"What the hell was that?" She questions as they begin walking to the back of the building. Finnick shakes his head.

"We'll find out later, yeah? One thing at a time," He says. Octavia nods, appreciating his words. They're met by Chaff, Seeder, Haymitch, Cinna, and two others behind the building. As they approach, Haymitch begins to grin.

"I knew it, didn't I?" He asks, looking into Octavia's eyes. She gives him an amused look before rolling her eyes playfully.

"Sure, you did, old man," She says to him. Finnick gives him a nod.

Cinna steps forward to hug Octavia gently. She smiles at him. Finnick rolls his eyes subtly.

"Well, since you're all here," he gestures to Katniss and Peeta, who stand quietly behind him, "Katniss, Peeta, this is Octavia and Finnick."

"Hey," Peeta says, a smile on his face. Octavia gives him a small smile in return. Her gaze drifts over to Katniss, who doesn't smile. Octavia tries to clear her mind of the pictures of Rue and Thresh as they died.

"Katniss," Finnick greets with a cheeky grin. The last thing Octavia needs is a reason to dislike Katniss more. Octavia gives Finnick a look. He also greets Peeta to not frustrate Octavia anymore.

Haymitch's eyes dart back and forth between Katniss and Octavia, before meeting Chaff's. Both men break out into wheezy laughs. Now, it was Seeder's turn to roll her eyes.