xxv. a house is almost a home

chapter twenty-five

OCTAVIA HAD TO LEAVE

OCTAVIA HAD TO LEAVE. She knew the second she watched Katniss give Rue a burial that she had to rush home. Her act of kindness would ignite something in Eleven, Octavia was sure of that. As soon as the games cut to Caesar, Octavia rushed out of her apartment and had an Avox call for a train, telling him that the food in her apartment was free game for him.

She ran into Finnick on her way out.

"Where are you going?" His voice was soft, hesitant to rehash the burn of Rue's death.

"You saw that. I have to go home." She pushes past him. Finnick's long legs caught up to her quickly.

"I'm coming with you," he says. Octavia shakes her head and continues walking.

"No."

"Octavia, we don't know what's happening there. I'm not letting you go alone," he tells her, grabbing her arm to stop her from walking away from him.

"You can't, there's too much at stake for us right now," she says.

"You saw what that girl just did," his voice is low, "we are probably one of Snow's last worries right now. I'm coming with you or you aren't going." He is stern, jaw clenched at Octavia's stubbornness that he loved.

Octavia purses her lips for a moment. She nods.

"The train is ready."

───

The train ride felt particularly quick today. Probably because having Finnick by her side gave her less time to overthink what may be happening at home.

Octavia sits beside him, anxiously picking at her fingers while Finnick looks out the window.

"It's going to be okay," he says, trying to calm her nerves. Octavia's leg bounces wildly.

"We don't know what's going on, Finnick. My parents-"

"Are going to be fine. We'll figure things out when we're there, but right now you need to calm down." He places a hand over hers. pointing his other toward the screen, where Thresh is being shown for the first time since the beginning of the Games.

He is very briefly shown, wearing a curved sword on his belt and squatting down in the wheat field.

Octavia exhales in relief, nodding.

Katniss had reunited with her district partner.

"What's his name, again?" She asks Finnick.