Chapter 72: Walk

Only moments later, Heidel appeared in her room, looking horrified. "Was HE in here?"

"Only for a few minutes." Ivy still sat at her writing desk. She returned the letter to the drawer as if it were nothing important.

"WHY?" Heidel growled.

Ivy pointed at the drawing on her easel. "He saw it from the hallway. I think he was just curious. We had a nice talk."

Heidel's cheeks reddened. "I left your door open. Shuck it! I'm so sorry, Ivy. That was my fault."

"It was fine."

"It was NOT fine! I trust that man like I trust a den of hyenas. From now on, turn the key when you're alone in here."

Ivy nodded in obedience. She never argued with Heidel—she couldn't. It was like coming to a sword fight with a butter knife in your hand. She hadn't felt danger when Uncle Jarrod was near her. But Heidel wouldn't accept that. Not one to rely on feelings or signs, Heidel trusted only what she could see, hear, and touch.

"Anyway... I bet you haven't taken a walk, have you?" Heidel said.

Ivy had hoped she wouldn't notice. "I'll take one later."

"Nope! You'll take it now. And I'm coming with you. Midday meal isn't for another two hours and I'm ready to pass out in that kitchen. Let's go before the afternoon heat sets in."

Ivy stood and capped her bottle of ink. She felt as if she would never finish that letter. "Did you give Coco the crutch?" she asked, reaching for her own.

Heidel nodded. "If it's any comfort, I think she liked it. She's gone to work on her dumb play."

Ivy accompanied Heidel out of the room. Three more days. She wanted this play over and done with; it disrupted their peaceful way of life. She never enjoyed events that brought hordes of people into the castle. It always felt like an invasion to her. This was her home. And she didn't like people in her home.

The air felt hot when they got outside, but not unbearable. Patches of cloud cover shielded them from the sun's intensity, and the breeze moved more swiftly than usual. Heidel suggested they walk the perimeter of the castle.

"That's usually what I do," Ivy said.

"Good! After Coralina's mishap, we should steer clear of the forest."

Ivy suspected that wasn't the reason. They had come out the main door and were crossing in front of the castle. She had done paintings of the castle's attractive front several times. The pointed door at the center and the four front towers—two on either side of the door, two at the corners of the building. It looked nicest at sunset, when the amber light made the brown bricks as warm and welcoming as baked bread. She loved her castle.

"When's the next time you think we'll go to Grunwold?" Ivy asked.

"Go to Grunwold?" Heidel echoed. "Never, if I can help it. Why on earth would you want to go to Grunwold?"

"Not saying I want to. Just wondering."

Heidel frowned. The heat had dampened the hair at her temples and she had shoved back her sticky bangs so they sprayed out from her forehead like porcupine quills. "Don't see a reason for us to go anytime soon. I guess we'll have to go when Roald gets married."

That wouldn't work. Ivy needed to get there much sooner.

She had to stop that wedding.

They turned around the righthand tower, bringing them in sight of Love Lake and the willow tree, sitting by the far corner of the castle. Ivy's crutch made a dull, squashing sound in the grass. Her spine was already beginning to ache, as it always did on uneven terrain. But at least she could breathe.