Chapter 8: No Secret

She should tell Maelyn about the letter. Ari fell asleep thinking about it and dreamt she told Maelyn everything. Maelyn needed to be warned. That messenger was going to keep on coming.

But Ari also felt – and felt strongly – that Maelyn couldn't bear bad news right now. Only four years ago, their mother had died. Their father had gone two years after. Then the servants had disappeared. Now Uncle Jarrod was coming to yell at Maelyn about it. Maelyn, the image of composure and grace, was perhaps the most queenish among them. Arialain sensed more than saw that her eldest sister was struggling.

The beastly door was waiting when she entered the entry hall, anticipating another boring day. Her wolf stool had been repaired, probably by Briette. Arialain had Laina in her elbow and the wooden sword in her right hand. She would not be idle.

Heidel came around the corner, looking fresher than last night. Her red hair was neatly braided and she wore a gown of deep burgundy with a corded gold trim. "Maelyn wants to see you in the throne room. Before the visitors get here."

Ari lost her good mood. Maelyn had said nothing to her at breakfast, now she was summoning Arialain before the throne. This could only be about Tofer. Arialain tossed the stuffed frog onto the wolf stool, but kept the sword with her.

She directed her steps to the west corridor which led to the throne room. The double doors had been left open to receive her. The throne room was long and bare, with a stark strip of crimson carpet leading up to the throne.

"Come in, Ari," said Maelyn, the empty space expanding her voice.

Arialain kept her eyes lowered until she reached the end of the carpet. Maelyn sat on her throne, four broad steps above her, wearing Mother's ivory cape around her shoulders. Coralina sat on the steps, hugging her knees and smirking. She was second eldest after Maelyn. The two never got along, but they were clearly in agreement about Tofer. None of this was a good sign.

"I hear you're disobeying orders," Maelyn said.

Arialain crossed her hands behind her back, dangling the sword from her fingers. She tried not to feel intimidated, but her heart was already crashing.

"You didn't give me an order," Ari said.

"I said I didn't like Tofer."

"Still not an order." Arialain wished she could make her voice sound firm and sure, as Maelyn's did. Ari sounded like a scared little girl whenever she spoke.

"Shall I rephrase it then?" Maelyn asked.

"You can't give me an order," Ari said. "You're not my mother. And you're not the queen."

Coralina huffed a laugh, enjoying a jab at Maelyn even when they were united. Maelyn's face grew cold. "I'm in charge of your safety."

"Tofer hasn't done anything!" Arialain cried. "He hasn't!"

"He's rude to every one of us," Coralina said. "And to you – I've seen it. He puts his hands on you constantly. His eyes are nasty and sly. Once I heard him so angry that he growled when he spoke to you. This from the son of a lowly merchant with almost no land. You're a princess, Arialain. Daughter of Dellan. You should demand better."

"You know Mother said princes or kings only," Maelyn said. "You would disappoint her if you married lower."

"He's my friend," Arialain said. "I didn't say I was marrying him!"

"Don't act like it's preposterous, most girls are married by their twentieth year," Maelyn said. "Now is the time to form healthy friendships, Arialain. Tofer isn't healthy. Get rid of him."