Chapter 61: Guest

Maelyn was burning. It started in her face, then spread down through her body in hot flames of humiliation. She wanted to die right there.

Uncle Jarrod did not move. He remained in the doorway, staring at the cart and cow with an expressionless face. His eyes remained on the scene far too long and not one of the princesses seemed able to move. The three men looked confused.

A long mooooo from Pearl finally broke the silence. Uncle Jarrod's mouth crept up in a tiny smile and his eyes shifted to Maelyn.

"This a bad time?" he said.

"Uncle Jarrod," Maelyn said in a strained voice, "you were supposed to come next week. I am not ready to receive you."

"Well, that is quite evident." He looked at the group standing around him and hardened his voice. "Clean this up. Quickly! Get that animal out of here."

"That's what we been doing," Gord said evenly. He didn't look afraid of Jarrod. Maelyn wished she could say the same, but her heart smashed like a bludgeon against her chest. Her vision had momentarily dimmed when she spotted him in the doorway. She hoped she wouldn't add to this mess by getting sick right in front of him.

"If you are willing to wait a few minutes, we will clean up the stairs and take you to your room," Maelyn said. "We have to air one of the hallways, but you're on the floor above, so-"

Uncle Jarrod cut her off by raising his hand. "I'll take a goblet of mulberry wine. I'll wait in the throne room. Unless—of course—you've got that full of animals, too."

Maelyn shook her head. Heidel said, "I'll get the wine," in a quiet, un-Heidel-like voice, and walked away. Others were speaking now, such as Briette and the men, discussing what to do about the broken wheel, but Maelyn could not string the words together. She stood there, waiting for the next thing Uncle Jarrod would say.

He walked toward the west corridor. "I will see all of you in thirty minutes. Have Dill take up my things."

Maelyn shut her eyes. She forgot about the manservant. A small man who always looked sad-eyed and sickly, who she couldn't help despising. She assumed he could talk, but had never once heard it. He gave her the creeps.

She followed Uncle Jarrod because she knew he would want her to. She only wished she had someone to walk beside her. Like Willow.

*********

A half hour later, the nine princesses stood before Maelyn's throne—now Uncle Jarrod's throne. He clutched a cavernous goblet of wine and chuckled. "After so many years, one would think I'd know the names of my nieces." He had a deep voice, strong as a drum. "Remind me."

The princesses sighed collectively. This ritual came with every visit. They spoke their names, one by one, but he seemed to stop listening after Coralina. He bestowed on her a warm smile. "Yes, I remember. You're Coco."

"Yes, Uncle!" Coralina flashed her stunning grin. "You never forget me."

Maelyn rolled her eyes. Coralina's exotic looks made her everyone's favorite. Uncle Jarrod would soon forget the other names and go back to calling them all "Princess."

His smile faded when he turned to Maelyn. "What have you done with the servants?"

"Let them go." Maelyn watched him steadily, refusing to look ashamed. She had let them go, from her home and from her heart. She would not tell him anything else. "We didn't need them."

"When did you expel them?"

"Ten months ago. Just after Father's death."

Uncle Jarrod dipped into his goblet again. For a moment, Maelyn suspected he took the drink to hide a smile. "Why?"

"Never mind why," said Maelyn.

Uncle Jarrod set his goblet on the arm of the throne and leaned forward. "Beg your pardon?"

"The reason is unimportant." Maelyn kept her tone firm though her heart continued to hammer.

"How can you live a respectable life without servants?" Uncle Jarrod asked.

"Quite easily," Maelyn said. "The castle is small. And we are many."

Coralina gave a short laugh. "Now you get to hear about the system."

Uncle Jarrod frowned. "The system?"

Maelyn sighed, reluctant to explain what would only disgust him. But it was her system and she would stand by it. She just couldn't be sure about her sisters.

Silence followed her brief explanation. Uncle Jarrod regarded her with glass-cold eyes. "Fifteen years ago, your parents turned nine ragamuffin peasants into royal princesses. Now you would turn those princesses back into peasants?"

"No!" Maelyn said. "I just-"

"We... we don't mind it much," Arialain spoke up. "Just Coco... and sometimes Lace-"

"Shut it, Ari!" Coralina said. "We hate it—all of us! If I was ruling the kingdom, this wouldn't have happened!"

"Hmm. An interesting thought." Uncle Jarrod drained his goblet and loomed out of the throne. Without looking at Maelyn, he grabbed her cloak and scepter off a small table and carried them down the steps.

"What are you doing?" Maelyn asked sharply.

Uncle Jarrod beckoned Coralina forward. He draped the ivory cape around her shoulders. "While I am visiting, Coco will be Throne Princess. Let us see who bears the title... more worthily."

Maelyn stood frozen. She had known this would happen. She had known Uncle Jarrod would find some way to yank the rug out from under her feet. Ugly surprises were one of his tactics. She refused to give any reaction.

"You all may go," Uncle Jarrod said. "Except for Maelyn. The rest of you؅—see that my room is aired and ready. And I don't mean the chamber I've used in the past; I mean my brother Dellan's chamber. Since he no longer needs it, you can have no objection, and I will accept no questioning on this subject. Dellan's chamber. Get it ready."

Maelyn drew deep breaths to calm her spirit. She would rather have torched Father's chamber than let Uncle Jarrod sleep there. It was a sanctuary to his memory and should not be violated.

Her sisters trickled out, Coralina trailing the cape behind her like a peacock with new feathers and smiling as if she'd snatched away Maelyn's favorite toy. Uncle Jarrod climbed back up to the throne and waved at his goblet. "Fill that."

Maelyn shut off her thoughts. She carried the goblet to the kitchen and returned with it brimful of mulberry wine. Uncle Jarrod drank the entire goblet before speaking. Her heart grew mournful as she watched him. So like her father: grand stature, powerful voice, prominent features. But without Father's joy, Father's gentleness.

Uncle Jarrod lowered the cup and studied the jewels bedecking the rim. "Now. Tell me what really happened to the servants."

Maelyn shook her head. "I won't."

He twirled the goblet in his fingers. "Bear in mind, Princess, you cannot be queen until your twentieth year. Until that time, I can always decide you are... unfitting. Coralina may be better."

"Coralina cannot rule herself, let alone a kingdom," Maelyn snapped. "Furthermore, she is up to her nose in preparations for the play. She cannot be Throne Princess. It is my duty as the eldest."

"A duty you seem very careless about, given the state of this castle. Your age is of no interest to me. I will crown whoever makes the best ruler, whether that is you or Coco or... someone else."

"What do you mean, someone else?" Maelyn asked. "Mother wanted me to be queen. It's what she raised me for."

Uncle Jarrod smiled. "We shall see. In seven days, I return to Grunwold. Before that time, you will tell me what happened to the servants. Or I shall name Coralina the next successor to this throne."

He held out the goblet. "Fill that."