Chapter 64: Valina

Uncle Jarrod wanted to inspect the kitchen next.

"Good! I'll be more than happy to show the gorilla I know what I'm doing," Heidel said when Maelyn stopped in to warn her. "He'll find everything stocked, the meat fresh, and the dishes clean. Send him in!"

"I think he's coming after breakfast," Maelyn said. Though the sun had barely risen, Heidel had already baked the bread and had the steaming loaves on her worktable. Briette had lit the candles and torches, and cranked open a few windows to freshen the rooms with morning air. She knew just which windows and doors to employ to create a current of air flowing through the lower castle. It worked wonderfully on summer mornings.

"While he's in here, I'm going to sneak out for a while," Maelyn said. "If he asks, tell him I had an appointment. It's partially true."

"You're not going to that moldy Book Miser again, are you?" Heidel pushed a loaf toward Maelyn, inviting her to help slice the bread.

Maelyn shook her head. "I've given up on him. Might have to travel to Grunwold to buy new books, but of course... I can't do that now."

"So where are you going?"

"Various places. Nothing much." She knew this would stir up Heidel's curiosity because she normally confided in Heidel. But she didn't want to say she was going to the Old Ogre Inn. Or that she planned to meet with Valina. No one but Maelyn knew about Valina.

She sawed through the bread with a long knife, though Heidel worked through two loaves in the time Maelyn cut one. Their talk centered on how to keep Uncle Jarrod fed and amused throughout the day, and how to manage Coralina's antics in the throne room. Maelyn expected to be home by early afternoon, after which she could watch Coralina. Heidel promised to watch Uncle Jarrod.

"You know what?" Heidel lifted her bread knife to examine the blade, touching it with the tip of her finger. "Maybe what we need is a good old-fashioned assassin."

"Heidel, please!" Maelyn reached out and pushed the knife down, not joining in Heidel's laughter. "Never say that, not even in jest. If he heard you...."

"Oh, he's just a bully," Heidel said, waving a hand. "You take him too seriously."

No, she did not. Maelyn knew the story her mother had told. Uncle Jarrod was far worse than a bully.

*********

Shulay happily drove Maelyn into Creaklee. They took a small, open carriage because the closed carriage would be insufferable in this weather. It also allowed her to sit next to Shulay, who she seldom found occasion to talk to. Since the rescue of Pearl, her spirits had greatly improved.

"I've been giving her lots of fruit and treats to make it up to her. She's plumpering nicely!" Shulay said, her fingers curled around the reins and sunlight glinting off her gold bracelets. In the summer, they wore airy dresses of imported cotton, with sleeves that stopped just below the elbows, and scooped necklines. Shulay's was marigold orange while Maelyn wore a muted mauve.

"Plumpering?" Maelyn said.

Shulay grinned. "You know... getting fatter and happier. I made it up."

"How is your room?"

"My room is perfect! You'd never know Pearl was there at all. Briette is so good."

"I still can't believe Ari did that."

Shulay snorted. "Don't worry. I'll get back at her."

"No, don't!" Maelyn cried. "Please, Shulay, I can't have more embarrassments in front of Uncle Jarrod."