1 9

CHAPTER NINETEEN

✩ ✩ ✩

Without so much as a fleeting goodbye, the pretty mermaid was ripped from the security blanket and hush was the arms of sunshine, by an overly cheerful Tarquinia, who was to make sure that both of her tributes made it to an aircraft headed for death in time.

Both of the competitors from Four had spent enough time with their District escort that they knew this was her attempt to lighten their moods in the midst of such a depressing situation. However, to the dismay of both Odelya and Apollo, her punctuality was the only successful part about that awfully dreadful morning.

Now; sat did they taking in the last few moments of which they would spend in the real world. Odelya peered out of a small window, viewing fleeting landscapes as they travelled further and further from any kind of civilisation.

In some manner, Odelya had still partially thought, perhaps wished, that this was just all some cruel nightmare of which she would soon wake up from. Such hopes would not change her reality and she was truly headed into the arena for the Sixty-Seventh Annual Hunger Games.

Having been separated from Apollo upon the arrival upon such an aircraft, Odelya felt lonelier than ever and the discomfort in her arm was not adding to her diminishing state of wellbeing.

An excessively large needle had been presented to her before being allowed to sit down; which injected into her a tracker which was required for all tributes entering the Games. Such an experience only heightened her fear of needles and if it were up to her, never would a piece of metal be inserted into her flesh for as long as she should live.

Considering the odds, that may not be a rather long duration of time.

Such an intimidating flight seemed to take just an eternity and however much she was dreading getting to her destination, she would rather not be left alone for a long period of time with her own overwhelming thought.

Dreadful images overcame her mind and they were just excruciating. There mere possibility of Reign being left abandoned under such circumstances was perhaps even more troubling to her than the fact that such an event would only happen is she were to be slaughtered.

Thought of her incoming death and the manner of which it would occur. Would it be drawn out? Painful? Would she be tortured prior to have her life snuffed out? Would Reign be forced to watch?

As though the mental picture of which had quickly engulfed her was being observed by some Capitolite with just an ounce of sympathy, the plane ride came to a rather abrupt end.

Only a few moments did they spend on the ground before Odelya was ushered out of the plane and into a rather chilling room; empty party from a glass tube which she assumed would soon lift her up into the arena of death.

Yet, like a ray of sunshine on one of her darkest days, Selene sat in a chair, gazing pitifully at a bundle of clothes or which she had collected and would dress her tribute in.

"Selene," Odelya breathed out and almost cried as she ran into the stylists warm embrace.

"My girl," The Capitolite replied, "Oh, I am just so sorry."

"Do you have one last spellbinding outfit for me, before I am but covered in my own blood?" Odelya asked hopefully.

Selene smiled sadly at the young girl, "Not one designed by myself, Siren. No, such apparel worn in the Games is manufactured by the Game Makers and are compulsory for all tributes."

And for possibly the last time, Selene carefully dresses Odelya - making sure her hair was braided tightly down her back and would so not get in her way, especially during the Cornucopia bloodbath.

Such an outfit consisted of thick thermal trousers and a blue fleece jacket. Upon that she pulled on a fur lined snow coat; which was designed specifically to reflect body heat.

The arena would be just freezing, Odelya was quite certain of it.

Then, hard snow boots covered her feet high were lined with the thickets of socks. Underneath all of this were layers upon layers of black thermals, which would hopefully ease the pain of being under such horribly cold conditions.

"Since you never requested an item from your District," Selene murmured, "Finnick took it upon himself to dig up a little something for you."

Odelya was presented with an item that sent her memory spiralling. A precious bracelet, woven by her beloved Papa out of old fishing nets and gifted to her Mama on a particular anniversary.

Blue was it coloured, and in the middle a beautiful pearl was encased within small ropes in the middle. Such precious a stone was stolen by her Papa's hands, he was punished ever so severely for this - held under the water for just long enough not to drown him.

It had been Melody's chosen token in her Hunger Games and it had not been returned to District Four alongside the poor girls coffin.

"Oh my," Odelya gasped, clutching the bracelet as some sort of a lifeline, "How could he have found this?"

"I'm sure he had his ways," Selene said mysteriously.

However, before Odelya could protest for further details a voice reverberated through the room, announcing that she now had thirty seconds to enter the glass cylinder.

"You will be just perfect, my girl," Selene swore, before leading Odelya to the opening in the tube.

"Please tell my darling Finnick of my deepest adoration for him."

Selene nodded, "You are a Siren, remember. Sink this bloody ship."

✩ ✩ ✩

And so the excitement begins. Prepare for some Finnick deprivation,

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.