Prologue

PROLOGUE

✩ ✩ ✩

Apollo's light rose from its deep slumber, stretching slowly past the horizon, casting blinding rays of early light upon the earth. Golden hues illuminated each corner of the district and sharp flashes of newly awoken sunlight temporarily blinded sailors.

A sense of mystery was created by the sun, especially when reflected upon the pretty coral sea. Oh, the sea, it has such a beauty in the way it repeatedly kisses the shoreline, despite every time being pushed away.

District Four revolved around the sea - the majority were fisherman by trade, of course - but even those who were not, still had their lives so deeply affected by the stunning waters, filled with such natural wonders.

Ocean eyed men and women traveled from the scarcely populated centre of the District to work along the southern coast at the docks. Mending boats and tying ropes, releasing nets for fish and gutting them once ripped from their homes.

Children worked there too, however on the beaches alongside the docks - spearfishing on their lonesome for extra pocket money in attempts to prevent the withdrawal of tesserae. Their gifts of the ability to recognise each and every species of fish known to mankind and using a small knife to gut the littlest of fish would prove useful in such situations.

Such resources found in the south would be sent to the beautiful markets which encased the western edge of the small district. These of which would sell quite nearly every single possession of Poseidon's, all of his friends, his food and notedly, all of his known jewels.

These in a likelihood, would be bought by one of the two residents of the nearby Victor's Village, poor souls they were - victims put on bloody pedestals for murders of which they were forced to commit in the yearly execution commissioned by the capitol.

Such jewels consisted heavily of precious pearls, harvested on the northern coast and produced perhaps the most profitable industry within Four. Beautiful little jewels found in the innermost part of previously thought impenetrable oysters - sent by southern fishermen to be emptied of their riches.

Yet, most people built their homes scattered along the eastern coast, which is where she was sat amongst the unsettled waves, on one of the few unpolluted beaches known to Four's inhabitants.

She had unwittingly stumbled across it with her brothers and sister as a little girl. This was where they liked to spend their mornings, now she usually spends them alone - even on the dreadful days, she always made an effort to watch the sunrise over the sea.

Crashing down softly against her outstretched feet - soaking the ends of her white dress, perhaps the only pretty thing she owned - the waves had such a supernatural power of soothing her soul. Whether still or unsettled, they were pure magic for her, they seemed to reflect the swirling thoughts of inside her head.

Their movement allowed her mind to be set free. An intense rhythmic dance of swirled blue and green would be forever reflected by her eyes.

Ocean waves made her forget. Forget what the white of her dress was in commemoration of. Forget why the only one who would be joining her on the soft beach was her younger brother, not the older twins. Forget the loss of her best friend's childhood.

But forget could she not the pain of grief, unlike her society, for the innocents who lost their lives as a result of the pure evil decorated on the Treaty of Treason.

It would have Melody and Orion's birthday today, such an abhorrent monstrosity they were reaped for death on their fourteenth birthday.

Before that dreaded day, their birthday would have been of a joyous nature, filled with love and laughter. With Mama and Papa having their pockets filled with stones at the oceans floor, Odelya and Reign had always tried to make a special effort on such days to make them just perfect for their substitute parents.

Now, the youngest two always try and make it down to the beach before the more horrendous events of the day, they would send out a pretty golden lantern to commemorate the deaths of District Four's Twin Tributes, from the Sixty-Third Hunger Games.

Born were they within four minutes of each other. Died did they within four minutes of each other.

Their games taunted her every night in her slumber.

Her nightmare of a reality was eased by her mornings on the beach.

✩ ✩ ✩

Happy Reading and may the odds be ever in your favour. Please be warned that many chapters with be very similar to the original version.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.