1 7

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

✩ ✩ ✩

As she nervously awaited her mandatory interview, Odelya lined up behind the male tribute from District Three, of whom would have his audience with Caesar Flickerman directly before her.

As discreetly as she could possibly manage, she surveyed the lineup, her newfound competition for sponsors which would most likely be the difference between life and death.

"You could be a little bit more subtle with it," Apollo murmured from behind her with a stifled chuckle.

"Oh, shut up, Apollo," Odelya responded in a similarly lighthearted tone.

Despite seeing Apollo in a brotherly manner, she as a woman could not deny his current state was one of an extraordinary handsomeness. He wore a deep blue suit, which exuded confidence and that of course, was the angle of which he had been instructed to take advantage of.

"Melody would have butterflies at the mere sight of you," The Siren complimented, making her partner blush a deep scarlet.

"And our mentor would be weak in the knees at the vision that is you," Apollo responded coolly with a knowing grin.

Such a deep reddish colour was now mimicked on her face, also. Odelya turned quickly to whack her friend ever so gently on his arm, in means to not crease his suit. If that had been the case, her head would be on a stake carried by Tarquinia.

In the moment that she turned around, Odelya had caught just a glimpse of little Florence, who stood second from last with only her partner, Colt, behind her. The small child looked as though she had been handpicked from the prettiest of meadows, her beautiful yellow dress fanning out at her waist and falling to just below her knees. At least her stylist had the common decency to dress her in clothing appropriate to her age.

Odelya may be the people of the Capitol's Siren, but the young girl from District Twelve was their delicate flower.

Within this blink of an eye, Odelya heard a rather daunting announcement from the host of the Hunger Games.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together for our beloved Siren, the radiant, Miss Odelya Castellan."

Before she could even comprehend what was happening, Odelya was being ushered upon to the stage - for the first time, she was extremely thankful for Tarquinia of whom had taught her to walk in heels, because she would surely have stumbled all over the place if not.

She felt as though she may throw up from the nerves or perhaps go blind due to the intensity of the spotlight of which was placed on her as she made her way across the stage to Caesar.

"My, my, you look just beautiful, Odelya dear, and that dress," He gave a spinning motion with his index finger indicating that he wanted for her to twirl for the audience, of which she obliged.

"Please, give a hand to the most talented, Selene, our lovely stylist for District Four," A round of applause erupted for the mention of the tailor's name, who stood and took a rather dramatic bow.

Fortunately, she was able to sit upon a velvet armchair as Caesar turned to interrogate her. Odelya reminded herself that she needed to be on her upmost best behaviour.

"Now, my dear, do tell us about your favourite part of the Capitol experience, so far?"

Odelya paused for just a moment, to mock being in thought before replying in such a manner which resembled that of a purring cat, "I would have to say having the honour of an audience with you Caesar."

"Oh, you're making me blush," He responded dramatically, flicking his hair over one shoulder.

"Well, I would much rather for it to be a private audience," She added, which further enhanced the presenter's blushing and the screams of the audience.

If a seductress was what they wanted then she would play the part as long as her life was guaranteed. Even if it disgusted her to her very core, she would most certainly scrub every inch of her body to death after this.

Once Caesar seemed to have recovered from Odelya's harmless flirting, he began to delve into more serious topics, such as that of the twin tributes of the Hunger Games four years prior.

"How do you think, that Melody and Orion would feel, about you now sitting in the same seat of which they sat such a short time ago?"

This stumped her. How would they feel? Outraged, disgusted, horrified, absolutely miserable and terrified. These were only a few of the words of which sprung to mind at such a ridiculous question. However, none of these were an acceptable response.

Wiping a tear from her eye, whether it were real or not, was unbeknownst to even Odelya, she started, "I think they would be proud, of me following in their legacy. I hope I can bring the honour to our family of which they fought so hard for."

Due the roar and slight hysterics of the crowd, Odelya assumed that she had answered correctly, which was of a great relief to her.

As the shorter than she expected interview was coming to a close, Caesar asked one final question, "Now, you have been dubbed the Siren of the Capitol. Do you think such a name is fitting for yourself?"

"Yes, I think it is rather appropriate, Caesar."

"And why do you say such things?"

"Because I'm beautiful, of course," Roxana smiled flirtatiously, "But I will kill anyone who stands between me and the life of a victor"

Such threats were directed at nobody in particular and she would leave the stage with that statement lingering in the air.

Straight into her mentors arms did she walk after descending the steps from the stage and she let out a loud sigh of relief.

"How did I do, my Finn."

"Absolutely perfect, my darling mermaid."

✩ ✩ ✩

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.