0 1

CHAPTER ONE

✩ ✩ ✩

Beneath the ruffles of the oceans surface danced such extraordinarily beautiful fish, with their ever so intricately designed scales and their wondrous eyes. Such innocent creatures were they, sweeping through the winding waters without a care, free from all the violent delights of man. Poseidon's grandchildren were placed so merrily in an underwater wonderland merely to be viciously ripped apart by meticulously crafted nets.

Fishing boats aligned in the sea in great formations quite like flowers in a springtime meadow. Upon the shore in all its glory stood the pier, such a tale of irony was behind it. Trade inaugurated from said structure and that was what kept Four's people in the food chain, however on the left side of the pier a beam stood out from the rest. Oh, how it so greatly resembled the plank on a pirates ship where traitors were marched to their deaths. Such a beam was used in the same manner. Adjacent to it, one of the many nets from the fishing boats hung, filled with rocks from the shallowest of waters.

Peacekeepers would take criminals from their homes in the deadest of night and force them off the plank, bound with ropes. Destined to lay at the oceans floor with similar rocks in their pockets for all eternity.

Vivid was the night when Mama and Papa were stolen in the darkness.

Odelya was rather a magician with rope, having been taught by the other half of her heart to tie the most convoluted knots known to the people of District Four. Such gifts helped her incredibly in her attempts to find work.

Relatively simple was her shifts upon the pier, all moments from dawn to dusk held the same pattern. Odelya were to release the nets off the front of the pier and remember to periodically check them for captured fish. On the frequent occasion that the net were to be filled, it was to be immediately replaced and all fish were to be gutted and transported to the mongers store.

Upon departure from the pier, fabricated from the blood of criminals and fish, Odelya would confirm with the Captain that the ship of which Reign worked upon had not yet sunk and then she made her way to the Victor's Village, to visit her sun.

At the present moment, however, she was not to make her home way to Finnick's home, under strict instructions to wait for his arrival at the pier. Apparently, he had some variation of a surprise for her, in compensation of his foreseen absence at the ever so quickly upcoming Hunger Games.

For distraction from this dreadful thought, Odelya admired the blossoming sunset. With a flourish of romance, a transcendent painter created a canvas of reds and oranges upon the horizon.

Something about the sun always soothed Odelya, perhaps it was merely the resemblance of such a celestial body to her best friend.

Shock waves rippled through her body and though a stone had fallen into the ocean that were herself. Of course, Finnick would always insist on making her jump at any given opportunity. His laughter always made up for her fleeting fright.

As she wrapped her arms around his body and breathed in the scent of sea salt and expensive cologne, Odelya was again at one with sunshine.

"Finn, you frightened me," Odelya murmured.

"M'sorry, pretty mermaid," Finnick chuckled fondly, "Promise it won't happen again."

Such lies filled this remark, but she cared quite an insignificant amount. As she reluctantly pulled away from her golden boy, Odelya noticed a picnic basket was carried in his hand that hadn't once been wrapped around her bronzed torso. Without mentioning said basket, Finnick took her under his free arm and guided her down to her secret beach.

"Thought we could have a little picnic before I leave tomorrow," Finnick told.

"You're sweet," Odelya replied, "But this is not necessary, you never have to make up for going away. I know you would rather be here with me."

"You know I hate to leave you, Dely," Finnick responded, "But this is more for me than you, promise."

Odelya merely hummed in disbelieving response.

Sitting on the Castellan's hidden beach with Finnick, a little picnic laid out in front of them was truly Odelya's idea of heaven. If it were her decision, her human embodiment of sunshine would never again return to his nightmarish glory in the Capitol. Oh, how he hated it there, all the things he did to protect her would be unbeknownst for a long time coming.

One day Odelya would know the true extent of his pain and then they could heal together. Yet, for now this picnic was enough.

"How are you doing? With the Games this year, I know how difficult they are for you?"

Finnick shrugged, "Not the best but nothing can change that."

"Oh, I am not so sure about that, my sun," Odelya stood after eating one last slice of strawberry tart, such a delicacy was one of the benefits of being the best of friends with a victor. "C'mon."

Extending her hand to his once again, Finnick happily let Odelya drag him into the water and mindlessly the swam into the great unknown which provided such a great comfort to both of the sailors.

Pointing up at the sun, Odelya merely whispered, "That's you."

"Lighting the way for you to swim beneath the surface of the waves, my mermaid."

✩ ✩ ✩

We are one chapter in and Finnick and Odelya are already my Roman Empire.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.