0 9

CHAPTER NINE

✩ ✩ ✩

Ethereal beauty was the essence of the air, it radiated out of her every single movement. Twirling around on the platform as so instructed to do by Selene, she could see every angle of her body as reflected by the mirrors.

There was not an inch of her body that was no at one point on display to the Capitolite, however that once embarrassment was ever so worth it due to her newfound pretty outward form.

A delicate sheered silk made up the skirt of her gorgeous dress, layers upon layers created a wave looking appearance, reflecting the oceans back in District Four. An ombré effect was created by the tops of the skirt being of the deepest blue and then fading into a brilliant gold, as though the sea was kissing up to the beach.

One end of an outer left layer was attached delicately to her right hip, creating a slit which ran dangerously high up her leg, displaying her bronze tanned skin.

As for the bustier, it hung rather heavily as adorned with golden edged seashells, which were hand plucked from the most beautiful beaches and washed carefully by the stylist herself. Slender straps made of the same fabric as the skirt ran up her shoulders and met with the back of her dress, which was tied with golden ropes.

Every revealed part of her body was littered with golden jewellery - beautiful rings graced her fingers, bracelets emblazoned with hundreds of the most precious pearls. A beautiful necklace hung perfectly and the gemstone which rested was formed into the shape of an anchor.

Upon her hair, which was slicked back to look as though she had just emerged from her ocean home, rested a delicate tiara, which crowned her as the queen of the sea.

Her makeup was rather extravagant, with eyeliner presented in attempts to elongate her siren shaped eyes. Pearls were placed upon her cheeks to envision that sea spray had formed upon her sharp cheekbones.

"My work is done," Selene gasped with delight, "You look absolutely stunning, my dear."

A bright smile graced Odelya's features at the compliment, but she was soon ordered by her stylist to drop such a happy expression, for the part she was about to play was that of stoicism and serenity.

She then began to walk rather slowly, as though not to trip over her pearl encrusted heels, towards where the horse drawn carriages were lined up ready to parade them in front of expecting Capitolites and, of course, President Snow.

Selene had instructed her to only imagine that her most favourite person was watching, which of course he would be.

A majestic black horse stood tall in front of her, and Odelya raised one of her perfectly manicured hands to gently stoke its mane and murmur sweet words at the beautiful creature.

"You look just like Melody, Odelya," A voice appeared from behind her, stating but the most powerful words that any compliment could hold.

The beauty that was Melody Castellan was reflected in her.

She turned from the horse and was met with a rather scantily dressed, Apollo. What words of thanks that were about to be uttered by her turned into a melody of laughter at the sight of the older boy.

"Oh my," Odelya laughed, "You look rather... dashing, Apollo, darling."

"Thanks a lot Odelya," Apollo replied sarcastically, "That means a great deal to me."

Peering over her shoulder, a look of pity appeared on Apollo's face and as to figure the cause of this, she turned to inspect the tributes lining behind them.

Her eyes followed his and she gazed upon the children of Twelve, who were lined up last, and more specifically the female tribute, who seemed to be the youngest of the entirety of them all.

The girl couldn't be older than twelve, and she clung desperately to her mentor, the kind drunkard, Haymitch Abernathy. Refusing to let go, he gently tried to pry her off of himself as encourage her into the carriage where her much older District partner stood waiting.

"Do you know her name? The little girl," Odelya asked Apollo quietly, trying not to come off to the other District's as a mere gossip.

"Florence," Apollo responded in the same hushed manner, "I heard that she's Twelve's mentors daughter."

"Haymitch Abernathy. I wasn't aware that a Victor's family was permitted to be reaped," Odelya told.

"Suppose not," Apollo dramatised, "The Abernathy's, born to partake in these ghastly games."

Odelya inhaled sharply, "Oh, that poor man. Having to mentor his little girl."

"It's a disgrace."

Suddenly, there was a rush about them, and all tributes seemed to be quickly hurried into their carriages. In that moment, anxiety filled Odelya as Apollo helped her up into the beautiful golden carriage.

All in her mind was the words of her stylist: Breathe, and never ever smile. Smiling at that moment was not something she thought that her face had the ability to comply with, so perhaps that was rather a positive aspect of this whole ordeal.

"You're their siren, remember," Apollo mumbled as the carriage was trotted out into the display of the adoring Capitolites.

Oh yes, a siren. Selene had spoke such words to her, apparently that is what the Capitol had named her after the reaping.

Despite this, she was not quite sure why. Perhaps it was due to her District being that responsible for fishing, or perhaps it was because of her eyes. Shaped in that of a siren's, perhaps it was merely a nickname, and just another thing for Odelya to overthink.

Apollo was there, however, to draw her once again out of her overwhelming thoughts, "Sink their fucking ship."

✩ ✩ ✩

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.