chapter17-Nikkah

Third person

Exiting Ahmed's room, Anaya made her way downstairs. The clock struck 10:00, marking the late hour. Ahmed and she had engaged in deep conversation, ultimately finding themselves in agreement about the nikkah, a significant decision.

Descending the staircase, Anaya adjusted her dupatta, ensuring it draped gracefully over her head. The only audible sound was the gentle jingle of glass bangles adorning her wrists. With each step, the bangles swayed and chimed, adding a musical rhythm to her movements.

Entering the kitchen, Anaya flicked on the light switch, expecting the warm glow to fill the room. Instead, she was met with a shock that sent shivers down her spine. There, perched on the kitchen shelf, was Behram. His posture exuded a sinister aura, with one leg casually crossed over the other, and a devilish smirk playing on his lips. The sight of him sent a wave of fear coursing through her veins, freezing her in place.

With a heart pounding like a drum, she found herself in a terrifying situation. The only word echoing in her mind was "run." Without a second thought, she bolted out of the kitchen, her legs carrying her as fast as they could. Each breath came in heavy gasps, fueling her sprint as she raced forward, the adrenaline coursing through her veins.

She didn't dare to look back, fearing that he may be just right behind her. The urgency to escape overwhelmed any curiosity about what or who was pursuing her. Her entire focus was on putting as much distance between herself the danger lay behind.

Finally, she reached the safety of her room, but the sound of footsteps, heavy and ominous, followed closely behind. The air was thick with tension, and the distant whistle only added to the eerie atmosphere, sending shivers down her spine

Every nerve in her body screamed at her to stay alert, to be ready for whatever might come next. The fear gnawed at her insides, making her pulse race even faster. In that moment, the only certainty was the palpable sense of dread that hung in the air, as she braced herself for the abuse she might suffer by his hands.

As she shoved the door of her room open, panic gripped her, and she hurriedly bolted it shut behind her. The haunting sound of his whistling seeped through from the other side, sending shivers down her spine. Collapsing onto her bed, she pulled her knees close to her chest, rocking back and forth in a desperate attempt to calm her racing heart.

But her brief moment of respite was shattered when the relentless banging on the door began. Each thud reverberated through the room, amplifying her terror. With trembling hands, she squeezed her eyes shut, seeking solace in reciting ayat-ul-kursi, a protective verse from the Quran. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she raised her hands in supplication, praying for Allah's mercy and protection. In that moment of vulnerability, her faith was her only shield and support

Ayat-ul-kursi - prayer for protection

The persistent banging on the door grew louder, sending shivers down Anaya's spine as fear gnawed at her insides. Just when it seemed unbearable, the noise abruptly ceased, replaced by the distant murmur of voices conversing outside. Anaya's tense muscles relaxed, a wave of relief washing over her as she silently offered gratitude to Allah for protecting her

 Anaya's tense muscles relaxed, a wave of relief washing over her as she silently offered gratitude to Allah for protecting her