Royals

"With Kanaphan? Seriously?" Book bit off a piece of the food he had brought with him. Khao leaned back on the bench and rubbed his face.

"Seriously. As if things couldn't get any worse with him."

"Khaotung, there you are."

"First, what do you want?" Book put his food away and crossed his arms over his chest.

"To talk to my project partner." First had a smug grin on his lips. "Khao, are you coming?"

"And you think I'll just follow you around like a lapdog?" Khao raised an eyebrow at First.

"Yes, that was my plan, so are you coming?"

"Do I have a choice?" Khao sighed and packed his things. A satisfied look appeared on First's face.

"No you don't, so come with me."

"See you later Book." Khao nodded in the direction of his best friend and reluctantly let himself be pulled along by First.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Did you have to do that?" Khao complained as First pulled him around a corner.

"Yes, or would you have come to my house if I had texted you to do so?"

"No."

"You see?" First sat down on a bench with a table in the back of the campus. "So, our topic," First took the folder the professor had given them out of his brown leather bag. "The history of the royal family." He gave Khao a look to indicate that he should take out his folder as well. Khao took a deep breath, but sat down next to First anyway and spread the contents on the table.

"The royal family..." Khao muttered, they couldn't have gotten a worse and broader topic. On top of that, Khao had no desire to work with First.

"We couldn't have gotten a shittier subject," First sighed.

"Or shittier project partners..."

"Khaotung what's your damn problem?" First turned to his project partner. "We have no choice and we have to work together and I was looking forward to this, but if you want to work against it, fine then we'll do it."

"My problem?" Khao crossed his arms in front of his chest. "You've been getting on my nerves since day one here at the university. You've got nothing better to do than disrupt classes, and talk over me all the time, and thanks to your friends I've ended up with my face in the toilet more than once, that's my problem." The expression on First's face abruptly changed from anger to a look of dismay.

"...they locked you in the toilet?" First tried to make sense of what Khao told him.

"Pushed my face into the toilet bowl. Kanaphan, don't pretend you don't know about it or even order them to do it." Furious, Khao packed up his things, he had expected the other to be an ass, but he hadn't thought he would be such a complete idiot.

"But I didn't." First stood up, reaching out to grab Khao's wrist as he was already about to leave.

"Save your lies, I'm serious." Khao roughly slapped the other's hand away. "Why don't you just admit it? I don't know what I did to deserve your hatred, but at least be honest."

"I am being honest, Khaotung. I have nothing against you, nor do I hate you. I...I may have teased you a little, at first, for fun. I wanted to be your friend. Remember? We even talked quite a bit in the beginning." Khao folded his arms in front of his chest.

"And I'm just supposed to take your word for that? Yes, we talked in the beginning, but your jock friends started saying stupid things to me and went a lot further. You saw it all, if you wanted to be my friend, why didn't you say anything? Why didn't you intervene?" Khao's voice began to tremble, if there was anything he didn't like, it was being lied to.

"Because I didn't witness any of that, Khaotung. This is the first time I've heard about it." Affirmed First.

"That remains to be found out; in any case, I don't believe a word you say." Khao took a deep breath. "We'll do the project together, we'll try to get it done as quickly and as well as we can, and then we'll go our separate ways again, do you understand? I hope you do because I honestly don't feel like adding stress to my last year here." It was as if First looked dejected as if he might have told the truth before. But Khao dismissed this as a figment of his imagination, First was a complete idiot and would always remain so in his eyes.

Khao and First spent the next hour reviewing their materials, familiarizing themselves with their subject, and trying to get some structure into the royal dynasty of the 1800s and all the important key dates. Even though this specific dynasty had only lasted just 120 years, the people had seen several kings come and go in that short time, 20 to be exact, some of whom had not even seen their 18th birthday.

"I don't think there is another time in the past, in which so many kings have been crowned in such a short time," Khao muttered as he wrote down the names of the former crowned ones.

"Maybe there is, I once read that there were supposed to have been quite a few kings in other parts of the world at times," First interjected.

"Could be, I don't know." Khao looked up. "Some of those kings weren't even on the throne for three years before they were murdered by a brother or another, what a dark age and what terrible family ties."

"Brother against brother, that's just the way it was back in those days."

"It wasn't that long ago First, the last King, of that period, before his son introduced monarchistic democracy, died 140 years ago, our grandparents may have had parents who grew up in the dynasty or lived through the end respectively and our great grandparents did for sure witness the "golden age."

"Sounds like it was pretty long ago to me." Remarked First. Khao rolled his eyes. annoyed that the other didn't seem to take the whole topic one meter seriously. "What is it, Khaotung? I like living in the here and now without worrying about when the last king of a lost dynasty bit the dust."

"You're amazing Kanaphan, why are you even studying history if you're so not interested in it?"

"None of your business? It's not like you care about that. I enjoy it, I just have an aversion to this very particular period, okay?" First crossed his arms in front of the chest.

"I didn't say anything." Khao heaved a sigh. "And I have to go now." He started packing up his things.

"You should give me your number." Khao turned to First, eyebrows raised and an annoyed expression on his face.

"Are you for real? I'm not going to give you my number."

"And how are we supposed to come up with meeting times for this project? Should I always just go up to you and kidnap you from your friend?" Khao realized he had said something stupid, he felt a slight blush creeping up his cheeks, embarrassed.

"Oh um, damn...yes of course." Khao dug out his phone and exchanged numbers with First. "See you around." First looked after Khao.

"See you Khaotung Thanawat Rattanakitpaisan."

"He knows my name, full name...why does it sound so good coming from his mouth?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───