Chapter 20: Love is Not a Priority

In her desperation, Sam decided to call Yuki instead.

"Sam?" Yuki answered the call.

"Yuki, I'm sorry to bother you. I've been trying to reach Mon, but I can't get through to her. Did you speak with her today?" Sam inquired.

"No, I've been with Tee all day. Is everything alright, Sam?" Yuki asked, curious.

"I really don't know, Yuki. I thought everything was fine," Sam sighed. "Anyway, if you do get to talk to her, could you please update me?"

"Sure, Sam. If you can't reach her, maybe you should drop by her house," Yuki suggested.

"Okay, Yuki. Thank you," Sam replied gratefully.

The following day, still without word from Mon, Sam decided to drive to Mon's house to ease her worries.

Sam rang the doorbell, and moments later, Mon's mom welcomed her and opened the gate.

"Hi, I'm looking for Mon. I'm Sam, her friend," Sam introduced herself to Mon's mom.

"Oh, Sam, your name sounds familiar," Mon's mom said, her brow furrowing as she tried to recall where she had heard the name before.

"I'm the recipient of Nop's heart, ma'am," Sam reminded Mon's mom with a smile.

"Oh, yes! Come in, come in!" Mon's mom exclaimed, assisting Sam into the living room. "Darling, we have a guest. Actually, Mon has a guest," she called out, raising her voice towards the stairs.

"Please have a seat, Sam. I'll go get some juice for you, or would you prefer coffee?" Mon's mom courteously guided Sam to the sofa.

"Water is okay, ma'am," Sam smiled in gratitude at Mon's mom's hospitality.

"Mom? Did you call for me?" Mon asked as she reached the bottom of the stairs, spotting Sam comfortably seated in their living room while her mom approached Sam with a glass of water in hand.

"Oh, Mon, sweetheart, you have a visitor. It's Sam. You didn't mention that you two were friends now," Mon's Mom said cheerfully.

"Sam, what brings you here?" Mon asked, surprised.

"Well, you said you'd call me, but it's been a day already, so I decided to drop by. I got worried when I didn't hear from you," Sam explained.

"Um, Mom, could we have a moment alone?" Mon asked her mom, grabbing Sam's hand as Sam stood up at Mon's gesture.

"Of course, sweetie. Why don't you go upstairs to your room so you two can have a girl chat," Mon's mom suggested.

Mon nodded and led Sam towards the stairs.

Mon's dad approached, watching as Mon and Sam went upstairs. "Young women today, I bet they'll talk about boys," he teased. Mon's mom playfully hit Mon's dad in response.

Mon gently nudged Sam into her room, ensuring that her parents weren't following or listening downstairs.

"Why are you here, Sam? I said I would call you," Mon said, her tone emphasizing her frustration as she shut the door.

"But you didn't call, Mon. Is something wrong? Did I do something?" Sam replied, confusion evident in her voice.

"And besides, I missed my princess," Sam replied, rushing to Mon to give her a hug.
"Sam..." Mon replied, slightly irritated as she broke the hug.
"Mon, what's wrong? We were fine chatting last night, and suddenly you're like this," Sam said, confused. "Is this about your dream?" Sam added.

Mon settled onto her bed, maintaining her silence.
"Mon... since you had that dream, you've become distant. Was it about Nop?" Sam moved to Mon's side on the bed.

"Yes, Sam. I dreamt about Nop, and I felt guilty," Mon confessed.

"Guilty that I was being happy with you while Nop..." Mon paused, struggling to find the right words.

"While Nop?" Sam added, curiosity piqued. "Nop is somewhere beyond our reach, somewhere we living people do not belong," Sam continued.

Sam cupped Mon's face, seeing the guilt written all over it.

"Mon, it's just a dream. Nop is no longer with us," Sam reminded Mon, offering reassurance.

"But it's like he wants to convey something that I can't understand. I'm confused and scared, Sam," Mon admitted.

"I know I confessed that I like you. But what if I can't stand by you? What if you're just overwhelmed by my presence? What if I would just hurt you? What if..." Sam interrupted Mon's assumptions by gently pressing her lips with Sam's forefingers, stroking downward as Sam gently lifted Mon's chin.

"Shhh, Mon," Sam hushed, calming her.

"Mon, it's just a dream. Maybe you're overthinking it," Sam reassured. "Nop is gone. I'm sorry, Mon, but he won't come back. You've already shown him your love. For six months, you held onto your memories, but it's time for you to move forward now. And I don't think he would want you to stay miserable because of him," Sam explained, trying to reassure Mon.

"I don't know, Sam. I'm really confused," Mon confessed. "But I can't deny that you've made me feel so alive again. It's because of you that I've tried living my life again," Mon admitted, slightly looking away from Sam.

Sam reached for Mon's face, gently guiding it to look at her. "Mon, look at me," Sam said softly, and Mon gazed at her. "It's the same for me, Mon. Never in my life have I felt like this. And I know what I feel for you is real. Mon, can we try?" Sam asked.

As Sam slightly pushed Mon's chin, encouraging her mouth to open slightly, Sam slowly leaned towards Mon, attempting to kiss her.

Mon slightly dodged Sam's kiss and playfully teased, "What about 'Love is not your priority'?"

"Oh, that," Sam smirked. "I guess change is something we can't control," Sam replied enthusiastically as she gave Mon a sudden kiss on her lips.

Mon was shocked, her eyes widened as excitement replaced her earlier anxious expressions while gazing at Sam.

Sam, on the other hand, gave Mon a teasing grin.

Suddenly, Mon grabbed Sam, their lips met in a tender kiss, a delicate fusion of longing and surrender. Time stood still as they savored the sweetness of that first connection, their hearts dancing in harmony. In that intimate embrace, Mon and Sam discovered a world of unspoken emotions, a promise of new beginnings written in the language of their intertwined souls.